• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

G3 Made Simple - Update

Started by John Candy, Jan 02 2012 12:37

« previous - next »

John Candy

The g3madesimple.org.uk site has been discontinued.

The material has been incorporated into the new www.gauge3.info/wiki/ (the Gauge 3 WIKI)

John Candy

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Latest News from www.G3MadeSimple.org.uk

The Live Steam 0-4-4T project has now progressed as far as Part 8, which is an excellent guide to turning/finishing wheel castings.
This series is generating a lot of interest and positive feedback from those spurred on to "have a go".

More RTR wagon conversion suggestions have been added recently, for those seeking a simple and economical solution to "start-up" in gauge 3.

A reminder that the 2012 competition (see www.G3MadeSimple.org.uk/competition/ ) is open for submission of entries until 30th April.

The First Prize (a CLC 10 Ton van) will be on display (weather permitting!) at the G3 Society's Get-Together/AGM event at Biggleswade (Bedfordshire) on Saturday February 18th.

The 2013 competition is already at the planning stage and I can reveal that the First Prize will be a GNR 6 Ton Fish Van, a 19ft van with slatted upper sides and sliding doors (see LNER Wagons Vol.1 Page 57).
The subject of the competition has not yet been finalized and I am inviting suggestions.
The criteria are:-
1) The item must be simple to construct with hand tools (small electric tools such as mini rotary tool and bench drill permitted).
2) Must be an item essential for anyone starting out in G3.
3) Needs to be something which can be constructed at low cost (budget constraint will be set once the project topic has been selected) by comparison with the cost of an equivalent commercially-produced item.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.