Author Topic: CNC 6040 milling/router/engraver  (Read 2180 times)

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
CNC 6040 milling/router/engraver
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
Has anybody seen one of these Chinese milling/routing/engraving machines in action (or know anyone who has used one)?

The 6040 is the largest/most powerful of a range which includes 3020 and 3040 models (the numbers signify the capacity of the table) and has a water-cooled spindle with 800W spindle motor.

This link shows it milling thick aluminium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awah4PXwAAo&feature=related

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline keith Bristol

• G3 Society Member
Re: CNC 6040 milling/router/engraver
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:38:43 PM »
HI John

I was looking the other day, admittedly i did not find that one but have now.
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/china-cnc-6040-setup-testing-review/

Seems to be usesful...

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Keith

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
Keith,

I have been mulling this over for a few weeks now and have been considering how it could be used.

One possibility is engraving in aluminium (and or MDF) the panelling on sides/ends of horseboxes / coaches, etc. to produce either single items or patterns for casting.

Question is, how "clean" will it leave panelling engraved on aluminium ..... the various Ebay and other suppliers show samples of work in plastics, MDF and other materials but not alloys.

I know from the YouTube videos that it will cut cleanly through thick alloy but not how well it would produce panelling effects. If it works as well as it does with MDF, etc. then it should work very well.

Currently discussing with Mike and will likely decide within next few weeks.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Andy B

• G3 Venturer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
John,

I've not seen one live but spent some time looking at various youtube videos - so some observations.
Milling thick aluminium - yes they will but none of the videos I saw showed the whole cut. Cutting depth looked to be 0.5mm max, and one user stated his traverse rate was less than 100mm/minute - a slot drill in soft materials (ali, brass) is easily capable of cutting half-it's diameter in one pass at a faster speed than that.
The workpiece was visibly vibrating even then - there simply isn't the mass there to dampen vibration.
So any 3D shape or anything large in 2D is going to take a lot of cutting time.

I imagine they would cope with panelling in a flat component OK, but I can't see how they would manage with panelling around a curved body side, for example - to get a square 'corner' between the bead and the panel inself would require a 5-axis machine - where the axis of the cutting tool can be kept radial to the curve.

Many comments have also suggested that a number of modifcations electrically and mechanically are needed to a) make it safe and b) make it last more than a few weeks - no matter what one is cutting.

Andy