• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GRS railcar and other kits

Started by Ben_Summers, Dec 30 2012 13:28

« previous - next »

AllWight

Hi

It is not a kit, its an off the shelf unpainted model. But buyer beware as they are not the best engine out there. The build quality has been mentioned many times on these forums. I personally would not have one for me, although I have worked on several. The biggest bug bear has been the chinese soldering which is not very good with bits falling off such as bufferbeams. If you do get one I would reccommend you pull it apart and solder along the length of the given part and not spot solder as the model is, reassemble and check it for running issues before painting.

Mark

joewatt

Dear Blagdon,
You can order the bespoke nameplates from GRS. If one's wife's name is too long, I guess you have to find another.
Joe

MikeWilliams

Another wife Joe?  Sounds a bit drastic, though maybe tempting for some.

Mike

keith Bristol

Ben,

When you need the bits for the 117 conversion, let me know..

Keith

Ben_Summers

Will do, Keith. Thanks :).

Ben

hornbeam

Hi Ben,

To give some background I started in gauge 3 in a serious way last year and am still planning my layout.

As a fellow new kid on the block, i'd thought id share a few thoughts.

Ive got an unfinished GRS DMU that I need to strip the paint off as im unhappy with the finish but otherwise its a good kit with good instructions.

I've got a part built class 08 on the bench that i'm working on and again its pretty good. However the wheel bearings had to be drilled out and the homes in the frames as well as the bearings didnt fit the wheels or the frames!

Id say straight away stick to Cliff barker track its cheaper and a lot better. Ive had some point kits for Christmas and will let you know how they go.

I'm not sure of your era but as far as rolling stock ive got a B set coach ( currenly with a buffer beam that needs re fixing) a semi scratch build baggage van using GRS modules as a cheap start, and various GRS wagons some with scratch built bodies and some bachman opens using Mike williams parts for chassis.

GRS is ok, quailty and instructions can be lacking.

i'm mid way converting an LGB diesel shunter to G3 with RS as I want a cheap rugged loco to test with and take to meets ( Hopefully Mark will let me run it on his layout at the AGM if I get him a tea!  ;) ) and will be doing a write up on it soon.

AllWight

Hi Hornbeam

I will not be at the AGM as I am exhibiting Blackgang at Brightoin Model World Show the same weekend. Friday 22nd-Sunday 24th February. But you are welcome to come and run your models on the layout any time.

Mark