Author Topic: Essential New Products?  (Read 6607 times)

Offline midnight miller

Re: Essential New Products?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 09:22:10 PM »
Hello All

Has the society or anybody else done a 12" to the  1ft conversion table to gauge 3 , millimeters to inch / ft ? M.R.J. did some years ago for the smaller scales , But as they struggle to addmit the existance of O gauge I am not going through my back numbers to see if they did gauge 3

John . T

Offline IanT

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 10:04:29 PM »
Hi John,

Well, we have just introduced a Society 'Scale' rule - it shows scale feet (up to 25') - with 1" divisions and costs 11 pounds. Other than that a spreadsheet will give you any range of scale conversion table you want pretty quickly.

Ian T
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline Derek King

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »
Gents,

No, MRJ never did a G3 Convertion Table, but I have produced my own on an Excel Spreadsheet. I don't know how to distribute it via the Forum, but you can have for inclusion on the G3 Web Site if required. I have already sent a copy direct to John.

Derek.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
Derek,

If you send me the file to webmaster@gauge3.org.uk
I will arrange for it to be downloadable.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Christopher

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
I have just joined this forum so please excuse a number of comments

Scales; The scale ruler seems a good idea but as a matteer of curiosity what scale factor does it actually use.

Form Tool; An excellent idea. Also possibly a gauge as sold by NMRA which has various critical dimensions on it such as wheel back to back dimensions etc.

New Model; Someone mentioned a SCR 'C'Class as an appropriate loco. The Association has wheel patterns and cylinders sets for this loco and the drawings from Mr Downs are well drawn and complete. GRS do a lot of the external detail.
This seems to be a loco that would benefit from a new boiler for gas firing. I would suggest dual flue hedghog type or radiant heater.
Otherwise a very pretty loco.

Standard Parts:  Could agree more - its what Greenly et al did many years ago

regards
Christopher

Offline cabbage

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »
The scale used is 1:22.6 -I have one of the Original Rules with the "slight numeric problem"...

A form cutter may be useful at the smaller scales but to be honest, it would have to made from T/C brazed onto a length of tool steel bar -far simpler to use a standard T/C tool bit and a compound slide.

The society does sell various gauges... However, I for one would not welcome Mr Stanley Ames and his N.M.R.A. anywhere near Gauge 3.

"The Venture" will be a kit of parts to build one of 5(?) types of loco. The SECR does still get "a look in" with the O1 loco though. Although I have not seen any of the plans for "The Venture", from the person involved in its design, I would imagine it has a JTvR type "C" boiler, and this would be a single cylinder with slip eccentric valve gear.

Having built a "porcupine" boiler, I would say that this type is more suited to the individual builder -than commercial production. The time taken to produce quills and seat them in the barrel pushes the time envelope badly. I was doing really well and I fitted 63 quills in a day... I also agree with current theories that the steam raising effect of a porcupine boiler, is more to do with the large number of nucleation points provided by the quills -rather than the amount of heat transferred into the water by them.

regards

ralph

Offline blagdon

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »
Though of the day from the bunker, in view of the weather, we need a simple snow plough design. Ideally an independent vehicle, but without rthe nasty curved vertical wedge all to many designs seem to have. Any suggestions of suitable prototypes?   :

Offline cabbage

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »
Yes!

The Meyer snow plough as built by SLM for the swiss electric lines. This was steam powered and had a separate steam driven snow cutter and blower.

regards

ralph

Offline Ted Sadler

Re: Essential New Products? Snowplough!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
I photographed an NER plough under restorartion at the NRM in 1999 - construction looks to be fairly simple. If I can work out how post pictures here, I'll do it, otherwise e-mail it to John. I also have several other pictures of NER snowploughs and a drawing of the MR Hellifield snowplough if anyone's interested. Ted

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 11:29:30 PM »
Ralph,

I know you like the weird and wonderful, but a working steam-driven snow cutter and blower?  I dare you!

Mike

Offline cabbage

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 08:11:17 AM »
Mike,

(There is a reason that I have a set of plans for this baby.....)

The bodywork was wood and it was varnished and waxed to a high polish!!!

regards

ralph