• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Scullin Wheels and Baker Valve Gear

Started by Cabbage, Jun 25 2012 22:32

« previous - next »

cabbage

Before I put mouse to CAD and data stick to Mendel...

Does anyone know of a supplier of Scullin profile wheels?

I have worked out the maths and drawn (using genuine MCR draughting tools) the Baker Valve gear positions. I did petition the Silk Mill Museum to allow me to use their events calculator -but they refused. The problem is that I have never seen one in operation on a real live locomotive -nor do I know anyone who has... Family members who could have seen one have unfortunately passed away. I almost got to see one running whilst near Dunedan NZ when I was 14 -but TRANZ don't seem to preserve things...

So, I have the partially drawn plans for "Twentieth Century Limited" -a J3a NYC Hudson. It will 133cm long and I am now in the "source bits" phase of operations.

regards

ralph

AllWight

Hello Ralph

I know of one engine that up until recently had Baker valve gear.4-6-2 tender engine No 11 Pioneer on the Moors Valley Railway. It tied itself in knots and is now been rebuilt with conventional walschearts. The difference between the two is that there are pivoted parts on Baker and sliding parts on Walschearts. It was all down to copyrighting. Subsequently a lot of USA engines have Baker valve gear.

Mark

AllWight

pic 1 of Pioneer

AllWight

Pic 2 of Pioneer

Moonraker

We have a Pacific loco with baker valve gear running regularly in South Australia. It is loco 621 on this page http://www.steamranger.org.au/enthusiast/steam.htm. As it happens, I took a photo of the valve gear only a couple of weeks ago and it is attached. Let me know if you need any measurements or information.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter Lucas

Moonraker

Further on loco 621, you will see lots of videos if you search Youtube for "621 steamranger".

The video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrwKxwwJdN8 shows the valve gear close up and running slowly.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter Lucas

cabbage

Thank you Peter,

The video is most informative as It shows how the gear moves between fwd and rev settings. I knew it was going to be one of those things that once you saw it working -it was obvious -and so it was!

regards

ralph

cabbage

And better yet I have found a supplier that not only does Scullin Wheels for anNYC J3a Hudson -but they also do the matching Baker Valve gear for it(!)

http://www.pacificlocomotive.com/index.php

regards

ralph