Author Topic: Closest to Scale bricks  (Read 1106 times)

Offline midnight miller

Closest to Scale bricks
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »
Hello All

Need to get the wife away from the telly and on with something usefull . Out there in the big bad world , Who does the closest to scale bricks please ?

John

Offline AllWight

Re: Closest to Scale bricks
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:58:49 AM »
Hi John

Having just hand scribed many many bricks for the viaduct I can safely say it sends you doolally. The end result is good though. I used Slaters 4mm planking plasticard A4 sheets. All I had to do was scribe the vertical or upright markings so you could create your own unique brick pattern. Each sheet cost £1.20 as opposed to £7.00 from GRS. The big headache was the scribing though and as there was a cost saving I decided to plod on.
See the blackgang viaduct section on the forum.

Mark

Offline Derek King

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
John,

Mark's idea sounds good, but if you want to go the whole hog try www.minaco-uk.com who have a whole range of 1:24 building materials including individual brick slips. £4.99 for pk 250, but appears to be on offer at the moment - buy one get one free!

Derek.

Offline Derek King

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »
John,

After my last post I realised we had covered this subject before under "Help required re brickwork sheets" - surprised nobody else had picked this up!!

In that string it appeared the sheets from South Eastern Finecast were the best buy.

Derek.

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
Whatho John

try these places:

Miniature Scene, York:

http://www.miniaturescene.com/shop/category_14/Bromley-Craft-Realistic-Brick-and-Stone-Effect-Products.html?sessid=zsv7hfeRjNdh0nnGKDRiaSooK0dIKqY2ZNXTzx1qZvgn5VmTAQXX165Mbfptr5sK&shop_param=cid%3D%26

They do all types of things for 1/24 scale including embossed plastic and pronted paper bricks, plus a system where you smear on the plaster or whatever it's called then press a stencil on - very realistic

4D Models, London
http://www.modelshop.co.uk/

They do embossed plastic bricks in 1/24 scale plus printed card and paper bricks

Offline midnight miller

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »
Hello Ian & All

Thanks for help and comments , Had a bit of a look around , Not sure we want to go down the stencil route just yet . Have ordered some brick slips to have a mess about with and see how we get on with them . Building we have in mind is the weigh bridge house at Birchenwood Coal and Coke ( Hope that I have spelt it right ) Just north of Stoke on Trent . Part colour view in Rodger Siveter's industrial steam book . Also found an old egg end boiler to measure up and stick on brick pillars for a water tank .

John