• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Closest to Scale bricks

Started by midnight miller, Sep 17 2012 23:42

« previous - next »

midnight miller

Hello All

Need to get the wife away from the telly and on with something usefull . Out there in the big bad world , Who does the closest to scale bricks please ?

John

AllWight

Hi John

Having just hand scribed many many bricks for the viaduct I can safely say it sends you doolally. The end result is good though. I used Slaters 4mm planking plasticard A4 sheets. All I had to do was scribe the vertical or upright markings so you could create your own unique brick pattern. Each sheet cost £1.20 as opposed to £7.00 from GRS. The big headache was the scribing though and as there was a cost saving I decided to plod on.
See the blackgang viaduct section on the forum.

Mark

Derek King

John,

Mark's idea sounds good, but if you want to go the whole hog try www.minaco-uk.com who have a whole range of 1:24 building materials including individual brick slips. £4.99 for pk 250, but appears to be on offer at the moment - buy one get one free!

Derek.

Derek King

John,

After my last post I realised we had covered this subject before under "Help required re brickwork sheets" - surprised nobody else had picked this up!!

In that string it appeared the sheets from South Eastern Finecast were the best buy.

Derek.

Traininvain

Whatho John

try these places:

Miniature Scene, York:

http://www.miniaturescene.com/shop/category_14/Bromley-Craft-Realistic-Brick-and-Stone-Effect-Products.html?sessid=zsv7hfeRjNdh0nnGKDRiaSooK0dIKqY2ZNXTzx1qZvgn5VmTAQXX165Mbfptr5sK&shop_param=cid%3D%26

They do all types of things for 1/24 scale including embossed plastic and pronted paper bricks, plus a system where you smear on the plaster or whatever it's called then press a stencil on - very realistic

4D Models, London
http://www.modelshop.co.uk/

They do embossed plastic bricks in 1/24 scale plus printed card and paper bricks

midnight miller

Hello Ian & All

Thanks for help and comments , Had a bit of a look around , Not sure we want to go down the stencil route just yet . Have ordered some brick slips to have a mess about with and see how we get on with them . Building we have in mind is the weigh bridge house at Birchenwood Coal and Coke ( Hope that I have spelt it right ) Just north of Stoke on Trent . Part colour view in Rodger Siveter's industrial steam book . Also found an old egg end boiler to measure up and stick on brick pillars for a water tank .

John