• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

6' Coach Springs

Started by blagdon, Nov 16 2012 21:21

« previous - next »

blagdon

I am planning a couple of 4-wheeled coach conversions; however the only castings for springs are either for wagons which are too short, or some 8' brass LNWR ones which Mike W does for his 6-wheelers.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

midnight miller

Hello All

Any thing in the G.R.S. stock ? Or make one nice master ( Including srinkage alowance ) and see if Mike will put it in the next mould .

John

Moonraker

Why don't you do a 3D drawing of them, using Google SketchUp or some other CAD program, and get them printed in ABS plastic? There are companies in the UK who will print them for a small fee.

If you only need four then you might as well get the four printed and use them as is. if you need lots then you could get one printed and use it as a master for resin moulding.

If you get stuck finding a company to do it then I would be happy to print one on my 3D printer and airmail it to you from Australia. You just need to do the 3D drawing first.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter Lucas

blagdon

Many thanks Peter, but all sounds a bit OTT for my level of bodging efforts. I have a set of Mike 8' brass springs (designed for his LNWR 6-wheelers) which will do for one of the projects; maybe one day someone will produce something with 6' springs for the others.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

MikeWilliams

Just for the record, my coach springs are 7ft.  Detail parts like this are becoming more and more available, so I'm sure somebody will make 6ft springs before long.

In fact its amazing when you think back ten years and almost nothing at all was available.

Mike

blagdon

Mike, sorry about the coach spring length gaff!

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

AllWight

What about the GRS spings  from the SR bogie coach kits

Mark

MikeWilliams

Ian, if you can get somebody to make one with all the end hangers etc I'd be happy to add it to my range and provide you with (probably!) as many as you want.  But I don't have time just now to make the pattern.

Pattern doesn't need to be hewn from solid brass - can be Plastikard or almost any material.

Mike

John Candy

Mike,

As you know, I am on point of making a 4ft 6in spring for some of our forthcoming fish vans (and as alternative LBSC van spring).

If Ian sends me drawing/dimensions I will do a 6ft at same time.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

Ian, if I were you I'd grab the offer now!

Mike

blagdon

Mike, Just rang John to take up offer; the springs are now 'On the books'.

Mark I have previously looked at C & W Accessories on Gertrude's website, but no sign of separate spring castings however thanks for the suggestion. Also, do any of you chaps going to Warley have a camcorder? Some clips of both layouts and the Society stand posted on 'YouTube' would be great for publicity!

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate