• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Easy drawbar springing for wagons (flexikits & GRS)

Started by 454, Dec 07 2012 19:10

« previous - next »

After making 9 off Flexikit chassis and finding difficulty fitting the split pin into drawbar sprung hook I decided that an alternative approach would be required. Remembering that prototype springing is along the full central length of the truck and has a cradle with a spring in the centre I thought I would create a similar but simpler arrangement.

1) drill a hole in the centre of each of the 2 internal transverse beams in the chassis to create a central run for the drawbar extensions.

2) Cut a piece of stiff brass wire and straighten. Bend one end to fit hole in end of draw hook. Feed wire through hole into central chamber.

3) Secure wire by soldering the wire to draw hook.

4) Repeat above for the other draw hook.

5) In the central chamber where the brass wire rods overlap place in situ one of the supplied drawhook springs so that both wires pass internally along the length of the spring.

6) For the left hand draw hook solder the brass wire to the spring at the right hand end of the spring ensuring that the draw hook is pushed home in the drawbar slot in the headstock.

7) For the righthand draw hook solder the brass wire to the spring at the left hand end of the spring ensuring that the draw hook is pushed home in the slot on the headstock.

8) The drawbars in tension put the spring in compression.

9) test by pulling the drawhooks to test the security of the solder joints.

This may not be pretty and scale but it works well, is quick & simple to create & the benefit is that if the joints break the draw hook will not pull out and release the vehicle from the train due to the soldered joint on the draw hook being bigger than the drawbar slot.

I have seen models with faithful reproductions of the real thing, this simple version is not visible externally and does not detract from the visual aspects of a model on the tracks.

My GRS wagon fleet is undergoing conversion slowly but surely to replace the hideous bit of piano wire springing the buffers & the draw hook. To modify GRS kit built wagons, the buffers are replaced by self contained sprung types and a new draw hook. The plain plastic floor has to have eyelet guides to support the longitudinal brass drawbar wire & springing arrangement.

Hope this helps. With practice this takes minutes to perform and is not fiddly at all.

Dave Lowe