• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Slaters Wheels (the COMPLETE list...not just those stocked by GRS)!

Started by John Candy, Jan 23 2013 13:46

« previous - next »

John Candy

I have just ordered buffers and wheels direct from Slaters and asked for a full list of G3 products for the website.

Included was a full list of the G3 wheels they offer, including several types NOT STOCKED by GRS (even the 3-hole wagon wheels sold by GRS are NOT those produced by Slaters).

I have scanned the list and it is available to download from www.g3madesimple.org.uk/slaters_wheels.pdf

The only other current items are already well-publicised (wagon buffers, draw hooks/3-link couplings, the MR van kit and motor/gearbox unit).

Currently, Slaters own website does not have G3 items listed for ordering (apparently their web designers "improved" their website over Christmas and missed out a lot of items, including all the G3 parts).
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Kalinowski

John, Well done.
At last we know what is on offer, pity their website does not list these items. However I will not be buying any Mansell wheels as I have just had 24 made up in cast iron. There is nothing quite like the clunck, clunck, clinck noise of iron on the rails!!!

Peter

Jon Nazareth

Hello Peter

Where did you have your cast-iron wheels made up and were they expensive?

Regards
Jon

They sound just my sort of wheels! Supplier?

492 (Robert)

MikeWilliams

The National 2 1/2in Gauge Association sell cast iron Mansell wheels in the Alan Headech range.  They are raw castings, but there are several people who will turn them and mount on axles.

Mike

Kalinowski

Well Mike I am not sure what you mean by raw castings, possibly you refer to not turned ??- er I had 24 cast for me - nuf for 6 coaches Metropolitan and Craven. They are very clean and got them from Blackgates where all my several wheel patterns are cast.

A chap down in Exeter does very nice work in hard brass, but very expensive. My 6 spoke wagon wheels cost £9 each -- ouch.

Regards Peter

Kalinowski

I am knocking up a rake of Stroudley horse boxes using box wood for the bodies, but there is an issue with suitable cast springs. I can make them in nickel silver but ever so much a bind making individual leaves - 8 per wheel.

??any 6 foot spring castings about anywhere chaps??

Peter

AllWight

I thought Mike Williams did the LBSC wagon parts. Glad to see you are modelling the LBSC by the way.

Mark

MikeWilliams

I do LBSC wagon springs, but not 6ft for horseboxes.

All I can suggest Peter is make one and get them cast. If they're functional they could be investment cast in brass.  If just cosmetic would resin do?  Resin would be 10% of the cost.

Yes, sorry, by "raw" I meant as cast with no cleaning up or turning.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Hello Peter

I didn't think anyone built LBSCR rolling stock.  I'm slowly finishing a L&B open carriage truck.  It will need
3'-4" open spoke wheels and some 4'-6" springs.  There's nothing out there in the way of springs/wheels in this size and so, I'm going to have to make both items.  I made the body and underframe from beech and it has shrunk a little but it's acceptable, to me at least.  It's an early truck and next on my list will be an early open A.  Mike will be marketing an open A but it is a much latter version.  I'd like to build an early horse box too as well as other stock but that won't be for a while yet.

Regards
Jon

MikeWilliams

Jon,

You'd be surprised at what people are modelling.  A customer who doesn't use a computer has just ordered parts for the eight LBSC open wagons he's making.  Somebody's even making a Caledonian wagon and that IS an oddity Jon!!

Mike

AllWight

I have two 5 plank LBSC open wagons, 5 bolster wagons(kit-bashed from Williams LNWR Bolster wagon kit) and a 10 ton van. They are all made out of plasticard, brass and the Mike Williams range of under carriage parts.
Incidentally the 10 ton van was finished about 6 months before Mike had announced the release of the Williams kit of the same vehicle, such is life.

Mark

Jon Nazareth

Peter,
Who is your chap in Exeter making hard brass wheels?  I need 12off 3'-4" open spoke wheels and, I have spent the last couple of days working out how to make them and it's not easy.  Because of this, I'm seriously thinking of having them made and would welcome views/comments on who there is out there capable of this work.  Obviously there would be the cost of a pattern to add to this and not many after sales as who else would want 3-4 open spoke wheels.  There is Mark Wood and Blackgates but not sure of anyone else.

Regards
Jon