Author Topic: Engine Types  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Peaky 556

Engine Types
« on: Feb 18 2013 22:50 »
What are the views on types of internal combustion engine most suitable?
    Glow-plug engines are widely available (and one could try arguing they give us just another 'meths' powered loco, but may raise eyebrows!).  They are cheap to buy and cheap to run.
    Diesels I used to fly free-flight or control line as a kid, and I have no idea of their potential when trying to throttle them with R/C.  Someone might tell me why diesel conversions are available for some glow motors!
    Marine engines are most attractive because they have a built-in cooling jacket, whence a realistic and effective cooling system can be contrived.  I also suggest they ought to be just a little quieter than the equivalent aero type due to a lack of fins vibrating like mad.
    Petrol engines tend to be a bit too physically big I think.  Dearer to buy but very cheap to run.  Possibly a little hotter running than the alcohol fuelled glow engines.
    Two stroke versions of any of the above are the most widely available, but I personally hate the harshness of the noise.
    Four strokes will sound a lot better.  You can't generally get them in marine versions.  They are taller than 2-strokes, so capacity will be smaller to get them in.
I'm looking at a four-stroke 0.4 cu in glow engine, being an old OS FS-40.  It fits in the space (height wise), can offer up to 700W output power should I want it, should not be too noisy if speed is kept down.  I have yet to try it out so watch this space...
Regards,
Tim
[/list]
Thank you,
Tim
Facebook.com/AppleTreeRailway/

Offline Peaky 556

Re: Engine Types
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19 2013 23:26 »
Correction - the OS-40FS gives a max power of about 500W at around 12000rpm.  That will sound far too busy and I only need about 100W of mechanical power, so this might be achievable with 3-5000 rpm.

I'm also ignoring the Graupner model wankel engine, as I'm told they really scream!

Regards, Tim
Thank you,
Tim

Offline Peaky 556

Re: Engine Types
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27 2014 22:48 »
Current plan is to use a pair of these OS-40FS engines, side by side.  That way they are a bit like the big Sulzer twin bank diesels like in the 'Peaks'!!

Gearing choice is being finalised such that when running at 4500 rpm they turn the generator at about 5000 rpm, to get the voltage required.

Why 4500 rpm I hear you ask?  At this speed a 4-stroke twin will have the same firing frequency as the 12-cyl Sulzer running at 750 rpm!

More anon, Tim
Thank you,
Tim