• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

2p or not 2p

Started by AshleyW, Mar 15 2021 19:51

« previous - next »

John Candy

Sure ain't a Fowler/LMS 2P.
Could be a Johnson or Fowler 4P Compound.
Coupled wheels look a bit on the small size, firebox shape and smokebox door definitely suspect!
Could it be GNR(I) Class V?

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Andy B

That bears a striking resemblance to Lot 4083 in the recent Hansons auction, which sold for £130 (+ premium).

Whilst it has some traits of Martin Evan's 'Eagle', the front of the frames have been shaped differently (slightly shortened?) so it has more of a Midland/LMS look.

Andy

IanT

On first looks, this engine is not so different from the part-built Deeley Compound I have. The cylinder castings look very similar (without dragging them out) although my frames are certainly different at the front. My loco is incomplete (no valve gear for instance) so I'm drawing the existing parts in Solid Edge - mostly as a 3D CAD learning process but eventually to fill in the gaps and make the missing parts.

As far as I could discover when I first looked into this, there was no published design/drawings of my engine available, so I had assumed it was a 'one-off. There was the CM Keiller engine design published in ME but that was 1/2" scale (and three cylinder).  This engine does look quite similar to mine in many respects - far more so than an Eagle I think. So maybe there is an existing design that I'm not aware of, there are certainly other G3 Midland Compounds around (I think Trevor has/had one).

Anyway - this engine seems to have a current boiler certificate, so that's a very good start if considering purchase.

Regards,

IanT     
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.