• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Lubricating LGB mechanism (GRS Peckett chassis)

Started by John Candy, Apr 22 2013 19:34

« previous - next »

John Candy

Principally a question for Mark (Allwight) but anyone else with one of these GRS kits please respond.

What do you use to lubricate?
a) gear train
b) axles, crank pins, etc.

How often do you find it necessary to lubricate gear train?

I know LGB sell their own (expensive) greases, etc. but is it necessary to use these?

I am about to finish assembling my Worthington No.1  Bagnall adaption of this kit and the gear train will be impossible to access without dismantling the body.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AllWight

you should be able to access the motor from the underside plastic keeper plate. I use LGB grease on all of my engines and they get topped up once a year. Plus 3 in 1 on all the axle boxes and motion.

Mark

hornbeam

Agree with Mark.

LGB grease is expensive but worth it, and now getting hold of LGB wheels and gears is very difficult and expensive I'd stick to using it.

John Candy

Mark & Simon,

Thanks, I will be ordering some LGB grease.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.