• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

"Jigstones" ?

Started by John Candy, Apr 27 2013 18:43

« previous - next »

John Candy

Anyone used "Jigstones" moulds to produce stone/brick walls?
Have an old copy of Garden Rail with article but is mainly illustrations and not much in the way of technical info. on production.
Small selection of moulds sold by Back2Bay6 but no info/download on their website.
Manufacturer's (German)website is useless and is only concerned with a warning not to buy "fake" moulds from a US source with whom they are in dispute over manufacturing rights!

Alternative is to go to Tiranti (supplier of the resin products I use) and buy the appropriate mould material and make some moulds of my own....but that takes time which I cannot spare at present.

What I need is large quantity of retaining wall and viaduct arches to cloak the bricks and concrete blocks being used to cross the garden.
GRS sell concrete items but they are not right size for my purposes, as well as being very expensive.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Thank you to "Bolingbroke" (Roger) who has kindly offered to lend his moulds, together with helpful tips on their use/limitations.

There are a number of options for casting materials, including quick hardening cement, weatherproof "Cassini" plaster, "ciment fondu" and resin.

I may have to experiment to find the best for my purposes.

Watch this space!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.