• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Stud Contact....

Started by Cabbage, Jun 08 2013 15:57

« previous - next »

cabbage

While there is a widely held belief that I am not exactly sane -I do hold my "Hospitality" very dear!!! Now that the final (final, final etc!) plans are in the "commit to buy" stage is there anyone likely to visit my humble layout that might have a loco that uses stud contact. As most people know I live high on the hilltop in Derby -so any takers for this -or do I ignore it???

regards

ralph

Ralph if I am ever fortunate to be invited to your layout be rest assured that all my locos are self propelled & do not need stud contact or any electrical pick-up.

Dave
Derby

cabbage

OK I have clicked "Commit to Buy" and SVT will deliver on the 17th...

I don't know when the "Grande Opening" will be but for reference of future visitors...

A J shaped "out and back" layout with two parallel tracks of 1/2 mile (scale) length configured for LHR with upper quadrant signals. Minimum radius of curvature 3 metres with 1mm gauge widened track on all curves. As this is a "preservation railway" the speed limit is 25mph (scale) 0.5MPS-1 (real). It has no super elevation on the curves. This is suitable for three axle rolling stock having a no more than 100mm axle spacing with 2mm of central side play.

There is no track power but there will be track circuiting (for signals).

Gauge loading is ample -the track has been designed to take Chinese and Russian Rolling stock -although at the moment it is debatable wether "Forwards the Glorious Leaders thoughts" or an M64 plus R-7 launch trailer will be built. However a working Soyuz would do wonders for my weed problems at the bottom of the garden!!!!

regards

ralph

cabbage

Well after a weekend drawing pencil lines on the kitchen floor.... (My Fathers day present to me). I have come to this arrangement which is neither HG or G3S(!) The completed base board will be 40cm wide and 38.4 metres long. Although it looks more than somewhat wide it does seem to be able to cope with what ever theoretical loco design I have been able to throw at it (cornflake box cardboard cutouts). The dual track width is 33.2cm.

The picture below shows the two locos as they would be with one entering the points from the return track and the other waiting to be coupled up to the returned wagons for the outward trip.

This shows the points and the two tracks -each of the tiles is 300mm sq

regards

ralph