• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Looking for a Deisel Electric...

Started by Cabbage, Jul 21 2009 22:18

« previous - next »

blagdon

'Peaky' Tim, as a former Nottingham resident of your age (ish), happiness was any 12 cylider Sulzer loco to and fron St Pancras, especially standing by the open window of the first coach door listening to the turbo-chargers screaming up to Hamstead / Crickewood.
Mind you, screaming Valenta's on HST's going south from Leicester station also bring back happy memories.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

Peaky 556

Has anyone (like you Ralph) thought of setting up a micro group for Diesel-Electric and Diesel-Mechanical locos?  Seems to be a hole ready for filling, with some interest I perceive! I'd be happy to shovel some sticky stuff into the hole!
Regards,
Tim  :)

John Candy

Tim (and anyone else with an interest),

Should I interpret that as request to set up an "Internal Combustion Powered Model Locos." board?

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

That's a "Yes please" from me John. 
Regards, Tim

cabbage

For me the answer would have to be "Yes!" D/E and D/M (and I suppose D/H -once I have figured out how to do it...) would be an interesting place to be.  I personally believe that a "Live Diesel" model is easier to build than a steam loco.  The main problems will always be those of starting it and cooling it whilst running. I have I believe cracked most of the design problems with the use of "Live Diesel" -it would be interesting to see other peoples "take" on the issues involved.

regards

ralph

Moonraker

Starting and cooling are not big problems. They have been solved many times over by quite a few modellers; mainly in G Scale. If you Google "live diesel locomotive" you will see several.

The really big problem is that nobody has managed to make them sound like the prototype; they all sound like a lawn mower on rails. Gauge 3 modellers tend to be quite particular about accuracy and realism. The real challenge is getting a live diesel to sound like the real thing.

Regards
Peter
Peter Lucas

Peaky 556

Quote from: Cabbage on Feb 18 2013 17:10
Quote:

Starting and cooling are not big problems

Unquote:

Errmmm I beg to differ.... I did the maths (and actually they did turn out to quite nasty). The amount of cooling required for a small G1 model can be coped with a simple fan and provided the model is not supposed to run for more than about 10-15 minutes -then an 8cm @240 Litres per minute fan can (just) keep a finned 3.5cc aero engine within bounds, (i.e. below 60C). The amount of waste heat that my engine has to dissipate is 300 Watts. This is a rate of flow of 1.2 Litres per minute with a drop of 15C across the radiator.

regards

ralph

Permit me to suggest to the moderator that this posting is transferred to a new thread of "Engines and cooling" under the new microgroup heading of 'Internal Combustion Powered'? (and that John opens this new group when he is able, recognising the vast calls upon his time to monitor all this traffic traffic and build models!!)
Regards,
Tim

ADMIN NOTE : Moved to new topic link http://lakes-pages.com/gauge3.co.uk/G3Forum/index.php?topic=971.0