• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Pannier tanks

Started by hornbeam, Oct 22 2022 07:53

« previous - next »

hornbeam

Good morning,

I may, depending on if I can source the etches, be producing a rather unique pannier tank. When it comes to brass I can do straight edges and solder. But I have no clue on what I would need to form the pannier tanks. Has anyone built one of these GRS brass pannier tank kits who could offer me some advise please?

Thanks

Simon

Nick

I'd be inclined to make a wooden former to the shape of the tank, clamp the brass to it using a piece of wood or better a steel bar to hold it along its full length, then bend the corners by pushing with another bar. It is important to clamp and push along the whole length of the tank to avoid any twist.

Some will say to soften the brass by annealling first. I've never had much success with that, probably because I cannot heat a large sheet uniformly and when I use a flame it always ends up distorted. But I wouldn't rule that out if you think you can.

Nick

Simon
I scratch built a Pannier Tank  https://g3forum.org.uk/index.php?topic=2295.0
I used a wooden former to make the tank, as Nick mentioned if you anneal the whole sheet of brass it will distort. The trick is to clamp the mental to the former and fold down both sides, you now have a more ridged form that will hold its shape when you anneal it. Return it to the former and clamp as before now with another clamp put pieces of wood on both sides of the tank and tighten the clamp, finally fold over the base of the tank.
I still have the former and you are welcome to use it, but I don't know the width of your cab, so it might need adjusting ?

Mike

John_S

Hi Simon. 

I have one folded give me a call John 07768834300.