• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Plumbing in the electrics

Started by IanT, Jun 06 2009 14:41

« previous - next »

IanT

A new supplier of 'Lampposts' has been in contact with us (I'll leave the Webmaster to give you more details on the main site) but amongst the photos sent was this one below. I was quite taken with the idea. It shows how 40mm PVC drainpipe can be embedded in platforms, yards etc and used to run wiring into position underground. The end has been sealed with a cap - and a brass bush screws into this to make one side of the connecion - whilst the return wire runs through the centre. The idea can of course be applied to any low-voltage electrical outlet, allows for future modification and I think should be pretty weatherproof. If you can't wait for the formal lamppost announcement - have a look at http://www.miniaturescalemodels.com/

Note : Full details with specifications and images now at http://www.gauge3.org.uk/gas_lamps.html
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

In my previous layout I had lights etc -but rather than use plumbing pipe I used 10base5 ethernet cable and clamp on bee sting connectors... I like the system as displayed and I can see that it would be very useful in all situations where you have to run the cables through. I like the lampost -but I would personally have to paint it red, as in my new envisioned station the original had red lamposts.

regards

ralph

IanT

These ones come in black or green Cabbage - but if you paint them - you might get some prototypical peeling paint?

John Candy

When adding the images to the website, I noticed that the pipe used for the wiring duct is in fact 21.5mm overflow by 'Marley'....you can just read the detail on the 'elbow'.... so it will be more easily concealed than the 40mm pipe mentioned by IanT.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Apologies John - looking at the photo I beleive you are right.