• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Grinding halt with regulator open & safety valve lifting.

Started by 454, Jun 02 2013 17:44

« previous - next »

It was my intention to have what was a reasonable record of the running log & history of Kingscale Britannia namely 002 so that a history of the locomotive & it's stablemate companions may be simply documented as experience in this mark of model is gained.

What has happened is a "Why & wherefore" un-necessary inquisition by those who do not own that make of model.

Even worse is a hi-jacked thread which has nothing to do with boiler testing per se. The boiler testing topic & thread should be left to those who deal with a generic issue not the specifics of Britannia improvement. Remember, that Kingscale goodwill knows no bounds, the Brit as a product is the first experience of a Kingscale mass produced steam loco. There are lessons learned & the developing products are impressive in their own right.

The Brit is followed by a Coronation & also a "diminutive <3 B L GWR loco" which are a gems.
The future is very exciting.

My Britannia specifically I have stated that a line has been drawn under it in the sense that no more testing of any kind will be undertaken on MY LOCO until I am satisfied that any improvement modifications will be incorporated in advance of the steam testing re-certification which must take place to authenticate any modifications.

Watch this space as we stay updated.............

Dave

John Candy

Sorry Dave but it was a necessary inquisition!

If a loco is brought to my garden, I am primarily responsible (Occupiers Liability Act, 1957) for any injury which may be caused to a visitor.

If, through some glitch in the testing regime, the boiler certificate were to be invalidated and as a result the insurers declined cover, I WOULD BE LIABLE FOR THE DAMAGES. So you, I and any other GTG host do have a definite interest in this issue.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Don't worry John it is unlikely that I will be carrying 20 Kg to your railway for other reasons. This will make it very inconvenient for attending such a GTG. Just hoping nowt will drop on my foot. My wife does a bit of sewing at GTG's in the ladies area & has been known to draw blood on a sewing needle, so dangerous. Not unknown to spill a cup of hot tea & scald oneself. Not to mention the trip hazards as we chase an errant runaway train across tree roots, paving slabs or steps. Makes boiler regs a bit academic me thinks. Perhaps I should re-think my hobby choices.

Dave
No mates.

John Candy

Dave,

Yes, you DO have mates.

I have personal knowledge of cases where underwriters have declined cover for what you may consider to be mere technicalities.

The file comes back with the instruction that the policyholder is to be told to "Act as if uninsured".

Unfortunately, the "It won't happen to me" syndrome is a mistake too many people make.

Regards,
(your mate)
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Now that a line has been drawn under the Britannia thread thinking naively that reporting progress of continuous improvement was a helpful attribute of communication I have decided to no longer report any of my Britannia developments.

Dave
N2.5GA

MikeWilliams

Dave,

When things have calmed down I hope you will reconsider.  I don't have a Britannia and am never likely to have one, but your diary has been fascinating and outlined the type of things I might expect when I start running some of my live steamers.  It has been instructive and entertaining too.  I certainly do NOT think of it as bad press for Kingscale and indeed has enhanced my views of the company.

Please keep up the good work.

Mike