• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Robust Trackwork for Driving Cars Over!

Started by Peaky 556, Aug 27 2013 23:31

« previous - next »

cabbage

Tim,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. No there  are no specific outlets for Pink Grip. The 350ml cartridges are from eBay, Amazon, Screwfix etc. The best thing to remove the grip from clothes and flesh is brush cleaner. Do not use alcohol or turps as that will spread the glue into your skin.

Regards

Ralph

Peaky 556

It's hard to believe over four years have passed since I laid the concrete trackbed across my driveway.  It will be truly cured by now!  Progress has been happening this autumn and we are now part-way across the drive, the GRS track being fixed down with adhesives, tramlining added from aluminium angle, and it is partly concreted in as shown in the pic below:

I'd like to hope that we can finish the crossing before the severe frosts and wet weather halt progress.
Tim

Peaky 556

Well the tramlined section of Apple Tree Railway is at last complete, and we can drive cars across it willy-nilly without damage.  Here is the proof of the pudding!

The plan is to sweep the gravel over the lines for appearance sake, on days without trains.
I can now put my feet up for the Winter!
Regards, Tim

Peaky 556

...and here it is largely gone, disguised from inquisitive eyes.

LankyTank

Tim

Curious to know if the weight of the car over the gravel will drive smaller pieces of gravel into the gap left between rail & tramlining/concrete. I don't know myself, but knowing how the Law of Sod works.........

Just a thought.
Barry

Peaky 556

Barry, I fully agree that Sod will raise his familiar head, and I shall have to spend time digging small pieces out of the flangeways! I wonder how real tram systems cope with stones, broken glass etc ...
Regards, Tim

AllWight

Hi

Real trains can push these out however I have heard stories of vandals and "near do wells" actually filling the gaps in the point blades and the stock rails in order to derail a full size train. This has happened a few times usually from someone who got the sack. Totally abhorrent behaviour I know but even the real trains can become thwarted by an earth fail. I have heard of steam locos being derailed by piles of ash in the yard, quite common in the later days of steam.

Failing tis of course you could re enact the scene from the titfield thunderbolt with a 14xx "its left for Titfield, toot toot"!

Mark

AshleyW

perhaps a strip of steel cut to correct width to fill the gap prior to gravel going over could be useful? sweep gravel away and then remove strip just before running sessions??????

Peaky 556

No worries chaps, I'll have a look in the Spring!  8)

MikeWilliams

"Spring"? No working snowplough then?

Mike

Peaky 556

Mike, I know you live in the rolling lowlands of Northants and think of Derbyshire as "the frozen North" but where I am it's close to the heat dump from power stations on the Trent Valley, so any snow will be slushy and short lived, I regret to say! I hardly ever get chance for handbrake spins in the snow!  8)
Regards, Tim

Peaky 556

Well I did spend quite a bit of time hooking little bits of gravel out of the flangeways, as per Baz's prediction, but we did get it running as a test track before the AGM. 
Here is one peril of a ground level railway!
Regards,
Tim

LankyTank

Peaky 556

...at only a scale 500 yards of double track laid so far Baz, I don't think anyone would travel more than half a mile to ride it!