• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Radio control for review

Started by Traininvain, Dec 01 2014 09:48

« previous - next »

cabbage

The sound of screaming you can feel in the background is my wallet.... Having done a "truth table" on the two types I find that I require BOTH to the TX23 and the TX72!!! So, after the feeding frenzy of the AGM, (and the implicit hernia). It looks like I am going to book AndyB for a Saturday afternoons sometime in March to play soldering on the kitchen table...

regards

ralph

Peaky 556

Quote from: Andy B on Jan 23 2017 08:15
Tim,
As I said in a post above, the Deltang Rx102 is the one you need for locos with a separate ESC.
Andy
I might be picky here Andy but no-one had clearly stated this.
If this guy gets my business it will be DESPITE the lack of application guidance, certainly not because of it...
:-\ Tim

cabbage

I opted to "chat" with one of his suppliers and got a lot further! I have ordered the TX23 kit and three RX102UH receivers. So, it is off to RF POTTS ltd to get a 250 gramme reel of some more suitable solder (the stuff I use for my guitars most definitely ISN'T!).

I will also replace the supplied BLACK knobs with something more visually "user friendly". I probably will buy brightly coloured Chicken Heads or Stove Pans -something that has an obvious position indicator to it.

Tim, this the company that I talked to:

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk

Within 3 hours by e-mail they had made a sale!!!!

regards

ralph

Peaky 556

Timpdon have given me a long and helpful reply regarding the query "Can you offer Tx and Rx combinations that will allow multiple servos to be controlled in a proportional manner?"

The GRX2 receiver controller has the fgollowing outputs, designed primarily for the control of live steam locos.

1 x fully analogue uni-directional regulator channel - Servo PWM, controlled by speed knob - servo max/min positions user calibrated.
1 x reverser channel - Servo PWM, controlled by reverser switch. This is a 3 position servo, forward - stop - reverse, with servo positions user calibrated and controlled rotation rate.
1 x auxiliary channel - Servo PWM, controlled by Aux 1 switch [ nominally for steam whistle or drain cocks]. This is a two position servo, on - off, with servo positions user calibrated and controlled rotation rate.
1 x serial data channel containing information on all switch settings. This can be used with a GAC1 controller to provide 5 switched outputs - 2 x auto forward/reverse lights, and 3 x uncommitted outputs controlled by Aux 2 to Aux 4 switches.
If you need multiple fully analogue controlled servos, then I can not offer you any suitable equipment.

For flexibility of modelling live diesel in the future this is not quite what I want, but I've repeated it here as it might help some people.

Regards, Tim

Doddy

Quote from: Peaky 556 on Jan 27 2017 06:46For flexibility of modelling live diesel in the future this is not quite what I want

What exactly do you need the radio controller to do Tim?
"You don't know what you don't know"

Andy B

Tim,

To echo Doddy's question...
I'm really not clear now what it is you are after.
Can you define what you are looking for in terms of number of channels, the capability of each channel (on/off, forward / off / reverse, variable in one or two directions, etc and whether operating a servo, motor, etc) - repeated (if necessary) for potential different applications (all electric, live diesel-electric, etc).

Andy

Peaky 556

The way I see it is that Tx and Rx designed for multiple proportional servo operation will also work ESC and electronic switches.  Then I have the most flexibility for what I may want to do in the future.  I can fit any of these controls and play trains with lots of features.
Outfits with just one proportional output and various digital 'switching' functions, representing the bulk of model train stuff on the market, will confine me to one servo or ESC max.  Not quite true, other servos can be fitted but they can only work to dialled-in end points, no control in between.
Basic ones with a built-in ESC constrain my ambitions!
I have decided to go for a Tx/Rx with three proportional knob controls and several other switching functions.
I know it will take all my remaining years to explore that lot!
;) Tim

cabbage

I have a partially coupled Deltang kit on the kitchen table. The hardest part about assembly has been the mods that I have had to do to it -to do with my failing eyesight!!! The knobs are now white and the bind button is white.

Finding black on black is beginning to be difficult....

Having done most of the fabrication with a wheel brace and a a soldering iron the next part of it requires connecting the transmitter module to the assembly. The instructions quite rightly say it is safe to simply solder direct to the 21 pins but I am going to use plugs as I believe this will make it easier for testing.

Regards

Ralph

Richard T

Deltang TX22 transmitter & RX65 receiver.
Richard

cabbage

You have a steady hand! My box shows iron scars from a sneezing fit...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

I am roughly three solder joints away from completion. The ESCs are on order and we wait for the union of loco to controller. The controller handset is heavily bespoke for my use. Would I recommend a Deltang kit? The answer has to be a definite Yes!

Regards

Ralph

Traininvain

Timpdon has now launched a transmitter which can control 3 battery powered locos independently, the GTX2:

http://www.timpdon.co.uk/timpdon/telec/products/products_grc.php

cabbage

Yesterday afternoon was spent in the company of Tim Gleed Owen and Andy Boothman at his kitchen and workshop. The TX unit was fired up for the first time and the only problems related to the "0" position on the controller. This was traced to the auto setup button on the ESC...

I have ordered a custom 12-way controller from the same people. This will have the higher power 100mW transmitter and an emergency stop button.

regards

ralph