• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Electric boiler feed pump?

Started by John Candy, Sep 06 2009 10:39

« previous - next »

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on May 18 2021 17:05
You have mail... I think the problem is that you tried to find specific words rather than subjects. Try the search again with "boiler".
No. I think the problem is that you and John know your way around and expect the rest of us to follow suit. G3 WIKI will remain unusable to others in its current state when the search engine cannot search embedded words in .pdf files.

And when you do get to the .pdfs they are generic boiler design approaches rather than specific tried and tested designs.

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

IanT

I haven't looked at it for size/suitability but there is a De Winton design on the 16mm site which will have a vertical boiler - and I've seen a design for a G1 LNER Sentinel Railcar that would probably scale up but I can't think offhand where it was.

(Short pause) - Yes, Iris - here:   https://www.16mm.org.uk/resources/drawings/locomotives/

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

Robert, I am sorry that you feel this way... There is no affordable way in which we can interface a PDF scanner to the flat file data set that is our WIKI. It is not an indexed system or a relational database.

If anything it is more a Roladex machine than a filing system!

No it is not perfect. But of the options we tried, and I think there were a few, this simplistic program that would take anything that we threw at it and not complain. It uses a page description language that is identical to WordStar, it doesn't have any form of WYSIWYG word processor formatting.

The information IS generic since the  only real tried and tested designs for G3 stopped in about the 1960's. There have been no books on G3 construction since the mid 1920's. The most modern design for a G3 boiler is design no. 14 from Kieth Noble Harris's book. When I showed it to an "esteemed" boiler tester at Borrowash Model Engineering Society he then threw a temper tantrum that would have disgraced a teenage schoolgirl!!!

If you don't like what is there, then tell is what is wrong and how we may correct it.

Regards

Ralph

IanT

"The  only real tried and tested designs for G3 stopped in about the 1960's"

News to me Ralph - I have a half-built Collins-Wiese 'Flying Scotsman' that was published in Model Engineer in 1981 and Dick Allan's Gauge 3 'Dee' was published in 2011/12 and that didn't have an 'enlarged' G1 Dee boiler, it was re-designed, as was much of the rest of the engine. Dick also published a G3 'Crampton' design in ME two-three years after that. But there have been many 'new' boilers built by both G3 (& Association) members that haven't been published - a 'Battle of Britain' class engine comes immediately to mind, designed specifically to be a gas fired <3bl boiler by a G3 Member. It's also easy to forget the various new commercial locos (and their boilers) that have appeared in recent years - both from Kingscale & most recently (the end of last year) from Barrett (the J65).

There's no particular reason why methods used in G1, 16mm and the larger gauges can't be applied to G3, as there's nothing that different in the basic requirement apart from the track gauge. So whilst there may not be specific 'Gauge 3 building' books, it's not really a problem. I'm a great fan of Kozo Hiraoka, whose books on building American N/G logging engines (Climax, Shays & Heisler) could be considered as just being for 3.5" gauge builders but much of the design approach & build processes described in them would be equally useful to any Gauge 3 builder.

Regards,

IanT

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on May 18 2021 19:14
Robert, I am sorry that you feel this way... There is no affordable way in which we can interface a PDF scanner to the flat file data set that is our WIKI. It is not an indexed system or a relational database.

My apolge Raslph,

I am under a bit of strain with motion imbalance and much sickness - CTI scan Monday, MRI scan this afternoon, maybe they can find the disfunctioning part of my brain for me?

Sorry

Robert.

IanT

I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well at the moment Robert.

By co-incidence, I was looking through an old Model Engineer (July 1933) earlier and spotted a 2.5" "Sentinel" that was made by a Mr JR Rodgers and briefly described by LBSC. It's not a detailed description although in the next issue a General Arrangement was shown. It's probably not G3 scale per-se but it is quite novel in that it utilises a vertical boiler with a coiled tube arrangement (flash steam like?) and it was 'top-fired' with coal (via a chute in the roof). It's in a bound volume (so will not lie flat on my scanner) - but I could probably photograph it for you if interested.

Fired with this discovery, I set about looking for that G1 'LNER' railcar I'm sure that I've seen but which I still cannot find. What I did come across in the process, was a short description of a G1 'GWR' railcar (ME October 1991) together with an outline plan for the power bogie and the 4-wick (meths) vertical boiler used. I already have scans of this short article and as you are subscribed to MMS, I could place then in the files area if you would like to look at them.

Regards,

IanT

Doddy

Hello Ian,

I may have MMS but do not know what it is nor how to get access, but the drawings and articles for the Sentinel, LNER and GWR Railcars I would be very interested in.

For the picture in the bound volume, a photograph made on a mobile phone camera would suffice.

I have space at each end of the ANF Railcar to locate a vertical boiler, water, gas and electronics. Thankfully, Editions Atlas have already produced a HO scale model for to take dimensions from;

ANF ZZ19

IanT

Sorry Robert - my abbreviation. Members Messaging Service (on Groups.IO)
I'll private message you.

Regards,

IanT

Doddy

Quote from: IanT on May 19 2021 22:10
Sorry Robert - my abbreviation. Members Messaging Service (on Groups.IO)
I'll private message you.

Regards,

IanT

I have them now Ian - cognitive ability still a bit foggy!

Many thanks

Robert