• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Water Tower and other lineside buildings in resin

Started by John Candy, Mar 16 2016 10:53

« previous - next »

John Candy

I am currently working on patterns for resin buildings for my own use and to "decorate" Monkton Priors at its first outing.

If you were at the AGM (or have been following this forum) you will have seen the LNWR fogman's hut, the LNWR coaling stage and the LNER concrete platelayers hut already completed.

In preparation are a water tower on a brick base (based on a Swindon drawing of the tower at Alcester GWR) and a weighbridge hut based on a drawing (from the GERS) of that at Chelmsford (GER/LNER).
Other items to follow will be more huts (including a corrugated iron LMS lamp hut and a MR brick platelayers hut).

Since these will be cast from moulds, it is simple to duplicate and a limited number will be sold on behalf of the Monkton Priors project to raise funds to build this G3 Society exhibition layout.

If you are interested, post a reply .... guide prices for completed/painted models.... water tower 85GBP; brick platelayer huts 40GBP; smaller lamp huts 20GBP.

John Candy
(Project Team Leader : Monkton Priors Layout)
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

David_G

Hi John

I will definitely be interested in buying the Weighbridge Hut based on the one at Chelmsford. Please keep me advised as to progress and confirmation of final price.

Regards
David_G

John Candy

Thank you David.

Will be a week or so before patterns/moulds are ready.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

wolfstone

That's great John. I would be interested in Weighbridge hut and maybe water tower please keep me informed of price etc. I would be happy to paint/assemble myself if it helps.

tim

John Candy

Thank you Tim.

Will be in touch in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
John.

P.S. Before anyone asks ... yes, the brickwork will be proper English Bond... sample casting taken from my patterns!

keith Bristol

John Candy

A long-shot, I know, but does anyone know of a photo of the weighbridge office/hut which stood in Chelmsford goods yard (demolished 1978 according to GER Society drawing)?
I have trawled the internet and looked though my LNER/East Anglia/GER books but no photos of Chelmsford goods yard.

Reason I ask is that the GERS drawing shows no chimney, which is most unusual .... weighbridge office huts were used all year round so it must have had a stove of some kind, unless at time drawing was made, it had been removed and replaced by electric heaters (GER mainline had been electrified long before the drawing was prepared in Sept 1978)

If no positive response will have to place chimney where I think logical!

John.

wolfstone

Hi john,
I am still in contact with a former colleague  who I worked with at Chelmsford, he was a shunter there, I'll contact him today to see if he can recall any details.
Tim

John Candy

The weigh-bridge office is now complete.
Still some doubt as to the matter of the chimney.
GERS are pretty certain the drawing was correct at the time of the survey (1978, just before demolition).

However, many small GER huts had just a cast iron "pot belly" stove for heating and there would have been just a short iron flue pipe poking through the roof (not a proper brick chimney stack).
By 1978, I suspect the office would have been out of use for some years (with the end of BR's "common carrier" status and wagon load traffic) and there is the possibility that a cast iron stove may have been removed prior to the survey, leaving just a few missing slates where the flue would have been.
Unless a photo emerges (and GERS don't appear to have one) we may never know for certain.

The accompanying photos include one which is a cruel close-up showing the brickwork.

Alcester (GWR) water tower is almost complete and currently in the paintshop ... it is a hefty structure!
While these have been built for my own garden use, they will be among the structures to grace Monkton Priors when it appears at Peterbough in 2017.

John

John Candy

A first view of the GWR water tower based on that which stood at Alcester,

The colours are the GWR "No.2" light stone and "No.3"dark stone (choc and cream was not applied to buildings) and the brickwork is Staffs. blue (artificial lighting has made it look more black than it is).

Still some details to be added (e.g. door latch, "roof" and ladder) but details are difficult to find.
The Alcester tank had a swivelling water crane fitted to the front wall but my location will have separate ground/platform mounted columns.

Am going to do another version since I need at least three tanks.

John.

John Candy

Weather has not been reliable enough for outdoor work of late (a couple of fine days but not enough to "get stuck in") so the "buildings" programme has continued apace.

Two versions of the LNWR platelayers'  hut (a very "posh" hut by comparison with the offerings of other companies!) have been completed, one with the roof light and other with an ordinary window (drawing taken from Jack Nelson's "LNWR Portrayed").

The GCR/MS&LR fogman's hut has also been completed and is quite different in appearance to the LNWR pattern which is pictured earlier in this thread.

Almost complete (photos to follow when painted), is the GCR platelayers' cabin to a 1907 drawing.....this is a much humbler affair by comparison with the LNWR type.....timber and sleepers and without any windows!

John

P.S. The roofs are not as blue as they appear in the photos....the early morning blue sky has affected the dark grey colour!

John Candy

The GCR platelayers' hut (1907 drawing).