• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

LB&SCR Terrier

Started by 753, Dec 21 2019 10:32

« previous - next »

I am planning on building a LB&SCR Terrier electric tank engine, would any member be interested in having one built as well?

Please PM me if interested

Christmas Greetings to all members

Mike

Sleeper Agent

THE GRS Terriers are out of stock according to their site I'm afraid Mike. Out of curiosity though are you looking to make Stepney himself or another Router? 

Steve

I think you may misunderstand my post, I am planning on making a Terrier from scratch no buying a kit. I built one in Gauge 1 many years ago.

That's why I thought if another member would like to have one to I could make two together. I have not decided on names and numbers at this stage, the pic was for those who might not know to what loco I was referring to

Mike

Sleeper Agent

Ah apologies Mike. I'm looking to own an A1X at some point rather than the earlier design so I think the GRS kit would be more suited for me. That all said i'll be intrigued to see yours come together and Jon Nazareth was making inquiries about how to backdate his kit so i'm sure he'll be taking notes as well and may even be after some fittings, but you'll have to talk to each other about that of course. 

Good luck!

MikeWilliams

What a lovely idea and kind offer Mike.  Very attractive engine, but not for me thank you.

However, you've built Western and now Southern, so if the next one is LNWR can I be at the top of the list please? ;)

Mike

The basic chassis for the Terrier is done, the frames are made from 1.5mm steel with sprung brass axle box's in steel horns.
The buffers are made in three pieces back plate with milled hex head bolts, turned barrel all soldered to the beam, and sprung buffers.
Coupling rods made from 3mm steel with brass bushes on Slaters pins.
The motor has integral gearbox max speed 400 rpm, diving the centre axle via Delrin bevel gears.

Mike

AllWight

Hi That is an impressive chassis build.

I have built 7 of the GRS terriers 3 for me and 4 for other people. Out of interest what loco and livery is this one intended to be once completed?

Mark

Mark
Thank you for your kind comment, the engine will be one of the named versions with yellow ochre livery if I can work out how to mask the tanks for the two tones and do the lining, which I am sure will produce a few expletives!!
Can you offer any advice as you say you have experience with this type of loco

Mike

AllWight

Hi

I have never painted any livery that complex in 00 or larger scale. There is something like 12 colours in the full stroudley improved engine green.

I would recommend that you paint the body shell and wheels into etch grey primer, then white primer and then the yellow topcoat. For the sage dark green i would mask off the areas and brush paint the green on.
Precision paints do the paint range.

For the lining i would suggest either get a transfer made up to fit the tank space to include all lining and the name of your choice. The same process would be for the splashers/sandboxes, the cab and bunker sides and bunker rear as well as the cab front and the bufferbeam were also lined out as well.

I do know someone who can do transfers and i am going to be getting him to do the lining transfers on my 0-16.5 (7mm narrow gauge ) double fairlie in a similar way.

Mark

LankyTank

You could pay someone else to do it for you........

I'll just get my hat & coat.

Jon Nazareth

Mark

I would have loved to have taken you up on the offer of a terrier but, I would imagine that it would be too much for my pocket.  Instead, I have a Garden Railways Terrier that I bought some years ago that i intent to build one day.  One of the reasons that I haven't built it yet is because of the awful resin casting of the body, it's terrible!!  Not sure at the moment what I'm going to do about that but when it's eventually finished, I shall paint up the rolling chassis in LBSCR colours but leave the rest of it in grey.  In one of my books on Terriers, I did see a picture of one in grey but can't find it now.  Having it grey is my way of getting over the fact that I could never, in a million years, produce the lining that is needed on a Terrier.  Good luck in your venture.  Are you building just the one?

Jon

The Terriers I offered to make two members are complete. The engines break down into five modules. smoke box and splasher/ sandbox, boiler and tanks, cab, footplate, and chassis to aid painting. They both have R/C equipment and sound.
It's been a long haul but enjoyable, now we are all locked in I think more engines will emerge the workshop!!

Mike

Progress on the Terrier, I am having transfers for the lining and name made, also short of some materials but the post is slow at the moment, so it maybe some time before all is complete.
Hope you are all keeping well and are churning out models like hot cakes!!!

Mike

The Terrier is finished, except for the number plate as the etchers are still locked down. As a dyed in the wool GWR man I am outside familiar territory on the LB&SCR but I have always admired these little engines as they have a lot of charm, and has given me a lot of pleasure building it, after all that's why we do what we do.

Mike

AshleyW

a true "masterpiece in minature" if there ever was one