• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Bending rolls

Started by Nick, Jul 21 2020 09:26

« previous - next »

Nick

As a diversion from the T3 project, I built a set of bending rolls. At some point I would have to roll a boiler, firebox, cab roof, and various other bits and pieces, and the idea of using a selection of rods and tubes seemed a bit hit and miss. I know it can be done, but I liked the idea of using the proper tool for the job. I had made a smaller set for the smaller gauges years ago but something bigger was called for.

The starting point was George Thomas's design, published in ME some time in the 1970s and republished in Model Engineers Workshop Manual. I redrew it, converting dimensions to metric because that is what I use, changing some dimensions to suit available stock, and generally simplifying some of GHT's elaborations such as using stock hex bolts instead of his turned and knurled screws with optional tommy bars. I chose the de luxe version with a gear drive between the driving and pinch rollers.

Yes, I know I could have bought one but this way I have just the tool I want. Besides, I like machining!

Nick

Nick
You have made a very nice job of the rolls, they are most useful.
I bought one of these universal sheet metal forming tools a few years ago, now used all the time especially the shears, would not be without it, sold by many tool suppliers.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-sbr305-3-in-1-universal-305mm-sheet-me/

Mike

IanT

305mm?

They used to call that 12" when I were a Lad   ;)

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

My clone is from Axminster tools - they call it a fabricator. The only thing I can complain about is the fact that it only has one crank handle... This either left (yay!) or right fitting, but for an even "pull" I would love a second crank handle.

Regards

Ralph

Nick

Mike,

Shears - the ones I've used have always left a little bit of distortion at the cut edge. I haven't had to do much platework in G3 yet but what I have done, I have managed well with my trusty piercing saw. But we'll see how it goes.

Ralph,

Congratulations for spotting that I'm left handed! The gear drive avoids the need for a second handle.

Nick

cabbage

Nick, being a sinister person as well... It is easy to spot!!!

Regards

Ralph

John Branch

And here was me thinking the photo was back to front!

John

Nick
One area were the shears are very useful is cutting narrow strips boiler bands etc, if you use the shear in the conventional way the strips are distorted, but if you reverse the stop i.e. clamp a fence in front of the shear, the cutting force is against the bed thus the strips stays flat.
As we used to say instead of raising the bridge, lower the river!

Mike

Nick

That's a good thought. I was thinking to use commercial brass strip available in 3.0 x 0.15 mm section, which is very close to scale, but I'll keep it in mind. I won't have to decide for some time yet!

Nick