• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Little Details....

Started by John Candy, Oct 16 2022 21:49

« previous - next »

John Candy

Little Details....

1. "Hammered" glass:  One detail which is not readily noticeable on many diagrams of GWR auto trailers is the fact that the opening "toplights" (above the main windows) are of obscured/diffused glass.
In most cases this was of either a "hammered" or "reeded" pattern.
I replicated this on No.131 by a two-stage process. Firstly, I took clear decal sheet (which is not totally transparent when placed over clear glazing) and fixed this to the inside of the toplight glazing. Next, I took "Microscale" satin varnish and applied three coats. The technique used was to apply first heavy coat with horizontal streaking. Each of the next two coats was "blobbed" on, allowing 30 minutes drying time between each coat.

hammered.jpg

2. Luggage compartment window bars : These are very fine and are often supplied as brass etchings in kits. I used 3D printing and the file is available to download from gauge3.info/downloads/bars.stl  ......  no excuse now for your autotrailer (or other GWR carriage) to lack these!

John

P.S. This is the prelude to a series of instructions (and downloadable 3D print/laser cutting files) on building your own GWR auto trailer. http://g3forum.org.uk/index.php?topic=3028.msg19106;topicseen#msg19106

bars.jpg

bars3.jpg

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.