• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

3-D printed diesel locomotives

Started by AshleyW, Dec 01 2020 18:13

« previous - next »

AshleyW

ALD Print make g1 locomotives and are wanting to know if there is a market in gauge 3, the class 25 looks as if for a kit would come out at around £1000.00 , please take a look and if anyone has any interest,please contact these guys and let them know. there are of course the shunting locomotive, which will cost much less and ideal for small layouts or perhaps newcomers, so i hope this project may take off.

aldmodels.co.uk

MikeWilliams

Not sure about the Class 25, but they do a 21ton hopper wagon in Gauge 1 for £150.  I guess that would come to £225 in Gauge 3.  On their website you can enlarge the image to see the quality and compare it with the 16ton mineral wagon recently introduced by GRS.  The GRS kit is significantly better in all respects.  Sorry.

Mike

AshleyW

yes i saw one of the G.R.S 16T bodies at another G3 members house last week and can agree the body looks superb indeed.

keith Bristol

Class 25 would be good,. I have it drawn here just never printed

Bruce_L

I have been in contact with Alistair Lofthouse, who runs ALD models. Some of you will already seen the type of locos available in G1 on his website: aldmodels.co.uk  He is enthusiastic about modifying various models in G1 into G3. The most likely is their Class 25 and if there are enough interest in having one of his kits they would aim for a January launch. Their equipment (eg. 3D machines) can cope with the increase in size for the parts for a kit. Most flat parts are 3D built and the curvy parts are metal (brass I assume). Bogies and motors are included, or maybe to the buyer's requirements. Likewise, a number of others picking up a different loco should encourage it to be kitted as well.

So far a few G3 members have shown interest, but passing this on is a bit tricky. Alistair has agreed to us to provide his email address so you can show your interest directly, and perhaps ask questions m(not too many though!).
Of course, the more that contact him, the more chance is that the kits will get produced. Here we are:
alistair@aldprint.co.uk
Take it from there folks!

Good luck and a hopefully reasonable Christmas!
Bruce
Bruce

Sleeper Agent

Marston Models have announced a resin printed body of the 08 shunter for £150.
https://www.facebook.com/MarstonModels/

According to the recent Garden Rail article parts are available to also model a Class 13 version and a cab interior is on the way to slip under the removable roof. Laser cut chassis to follow.
https://www.facebook.com/MarstonModels/

Unrelated but they also print a few a other bits and bobs such as these GCR Director springs and RCH wagon brake blocks etc.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/marstonmodels?T=1620977660899

keith Bristol

I have just received the parts for an ALD Janus and the printing is crisp and very good

cabbage

Bar the wiring and making the wheels from the castings... This is as far as I have got.

The livery is Petrol Blue and Industrial Orange.

Regards

Ralph