• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GRS 45xx

Started by keith Bristol, Apr 10 2009 10:43

« previous - next »

keith Bristol

Hi has anyone any experience or details in making this loco radio control / rechargable battery operated.

Thanks

idriver

I have seen this model run on battery radio control, most successfully using 2.4 GHz system and a MAC5 available from Brian Jones.  Being an all metal model this system seems to work best, the same owner previously run the model using 40Mhz system and the MAC5 with mixed results of poor reception.  There is another system that I have seen in use, not a standard RC handset that required the operator to be in close vicinity of the loco and the receiver was mounted underneath the loco, not an ideal solution. 
regards
Ian

keith Bristol

Thanks Ian

I will Find Brian Jones's details and get in touch.

Hopefully then I can get the loco going. i have had it running on rail power but decided best to put if onto battery.

Keith

idriver

Hi Keith,
Brian Jones can be found at http://www.brianjones.free-online.co.uk/. let me know if you are a member of the society and I will be able to put you in touch with the guy who has done this installation
regards
Ian

keith Bristol

Hi Ian

I am a memeber of the society and would be VERY grateful for asssistance from those with experience.

email address keith.smith8110 @ blueyonder . co . uk

Thanks

Keith

croned

Keith

I also have a 45XX and am wondering best way to go about it.

David Crone

keith Bristol

Dave

I am going to order the bits this week so I will keep extensive pics of teh conversion, brian jones above carries all the bits and is a mine of information and advice on the subject.

Keith

Moonraker

If it is of interest to you, I make a soundcard which is suitable for the 45XX under the brand name MyLocoSound. It costs 39 pounds plus 2 pounds post and packing. You can see it at www.mylocosound.com where there is a video demonstrating it in my GRS pannier. It is compatible with Brian Jones and several other radio controllers.

Peter L
Peter Lucas

keith Bristol

Hi moonraker

The steam one sounds excellant....I shall be in touch shortly.. keith

The diesel is cracking but wouldnt be suited to big loco's such as the GRS 08 or bubblecar.

Thanks for that

keith

keith Bristol

APologies moonraker.. typical man thing watched the video's before delving into the information. You can alter setting of card.. definatley on list. Keith

John Candy

I agree they do sound pretty good even down the wires.
I am constructing a GRS GWR AEC diesel railcar with an 'Electronize' speed controller, 21V battery pack and 2.4GHz R/c.
Not sure from the information on website that the sound card would be compatible.
The diesel horn would not be suitable (the GWR cars were fitted at first with a Klaxon which was very quickly replaced by two-tone air horns, giving a similar sound to the BR diesel horns).

My LNER N5 may well be a candidate since it has a Mac5 controller.
Will have to measure and see!
May even check to see whether it can be accommodated in live steam r/c locos to give whistle without the hassle of fitting a proper (and greatly overscale) whistle.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Moonraker

John,

The Mac 5 controller will be fine with the soundcard; it is a popular choice. The Electronize should be okay but I did hear of a couple customers having issues with it; not just relating to the soundcard interface. If you haven't bought a controller yet, I think that the Roundhouse Engineering controller is excellent value for money and is also a popular choice.

My soundcards are covered by a 90 day warranty which includes compatability. If they are not compatible with a controller and are returned in good condition then I provide a full refund.

Incidentally, I am visiting the UK in July and will be attending Alan Marsden's event on 11th July at Ampthill. I will have both steam and diesel soundcards available to play with and listen to. Alternatively, I will be at the Butterley Garden Railway Association Gala Weekend at the Midland Railway Centre the next day if that is closer to you.

From July 5th to 24th, I am touring England and North Wales so if anyone wants to meet up to check out the soundcards please let me know which part of the country you are in.

Peter Lucas
Peter Lucas

John Candy

Peter,

I shall be in Sussex, so not able to attend the Ampthill event.
I will ask someone who does attend to take a look and let me have their views.
If one will fit into my N5 (I need to measure) then I am definitely interested.
Regarding the GWR AEC railcar, I bought the Electronize 43VR unit about 4 years ago and it has been sitting in the box ever since!
It is too big to easily fit the N5 which is why I fitted a Mac5 and kept it for the railcar where there is plenty of underfloor area to provide a good airflow to keep it cool.
Is there any possibility of a reduced size board just to 'whistle'.....I have in mind that it would be small enough to fit into live steam tank locos and be activated by a miniature servo?

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Moonraker

John,

No chance of a smaller soundcard for just whistling, I'm afraid. The cost of tooling, etc to make a new whistle-only card would be prohibitive.

However, a number of soundcards have been sold to live steam enthusiasts for that purpose. Referring to the pictures on the web site, the M1 and M2 terminals do not get used for whistle only so you could actually remove that terminal block if you were very short of space. Remember you will need a 7.5v or more battery on board to power it.

Sorry we can't meet.
Regards
Peter
Peter Lucas

croned

Keith

Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in following your lead. The job is still not top of my priority list just yet. I will probably make a start on the Peckett kit I bought. I guess the same cotroller combination may work here also. The rebuild of an 1863 Ulster Railway coach in 12 inches to the foot is taking up a good deal of my spare time at present.

David

Quote from: keith Bristol on Jun 21 2009 18:05
Dave

I am going to order the bits this week so I will keep extensive pics of teh conversion, brian jones above carries all the bits and is a mine of information and advice on the subject.

Keith