• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Spektrum DX6i pitfalls

Started by AllWight, May 05 2011 22:23

« previous - next »

AllWight

Hi chaps for all those out there that have the Spektrum DX6i RC unit today I had a problem with the roller selector switch on the bottom right hand side. At some point recently alas I do not know when the roller got damaged. I discovered it today at Dick Allans railway. I have two engines on the same handset which is not normally a problem. I had been running The Royal Alex on the Pullmans and decided to give my terrier FYN2 a run but the roller was pushed back. So we carefully undid the back of the handset to find the offending item. The roller which is made of plastic with the spindle as part of the same moulding had been broken into two very short pieces. The spindle itself was hexagonal. Dick had a very clever idea of using the end of an old Allen key (10mm length) and setting it into the centre of the roller and making sure it was concentric. After much measuring and carefully rebuilding the handset the transmitter was tested and worked first time and is also a lot better than the original and certainly won't break in a hurry. I also spoke to Brian Jones who put me onto Horizon Models who were extremely helpful and even though we had fixed the spindle they said that they would send out a complete circuit board with roller attached as standard to replace it. I will see how the repair goes and if it lasts then fantastic if not then i have the spare component to hand.

The other pit fall with these handsets are the aerials are vulnerable and easy to break too and I believe Sussex models and Horizon models can assist with any one who has a damaged aerial at a very small cost and they are easy to replace.

Cheers Mark       

AllWight

Another pitfall I have discovered is that the recievers of a DX5e and DX6i are only compatible with said sets. The earlier recievers were universal to either transmitter. I found this out when I recently re-wired a GRS Prairie for someone who had it working on a DX5e and all of my models are run on DX6i's. It did take me a while to figure out what the the problem was as I was trying to bind the engine to one of my handsets with no success. I eventually borrowed the reciever out of my diesel "The Royal Alex" just to prove the circuitry was all working and the engine went forward when the stalk was moved forwards. Success!! Although after all that interference the owner had to re-bind his engine to his DX5e handest/transmitter but this only took a minute to do. Hope this is of interest to those of you out there with either system on your models.   

Mark

keith Bristol

grrr time to find a supplier of spares... my dx6i rolle rhs fallen apart. Any suggestions?

AllWight

Sussex models 01903207525 or chuffed to bits on 01926 407784 they do the spares

Mark

keith Bristol

cheers Mark as ever....