• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

MSE Signal Arms

Started by IanT, Jun 15 2011 13:56

« previous - next »

IanT

We are trying to encourage existing railway modeling suppliers into Gauge '3'.

One way to do this is for the Society 'Shop' to place a small (but economically viable) order for an existing product (in another scale) that can be produced in 13.5mm and which enables the vendor to produce his first G3 product. We hope that once this initial 'seed' stock has been sold, the supplier will continue to offer the product, although of course there can be no guarantee that this will occur.

However, rather than just place an order and hope that Members will actually buy the product, we intend to test your interest by requiring that about half the initial stock has been ordered in advance of the Society placing its order. If no-one wants the product, then nothing has been lost and we have not encouraged anyone into a loss making venture. In this way (hopefully) everyone wins.

I am therefore very pleased to announce that Model Signal Engineering (MES) have agreed to supply two of their products for Gauge 3, if we can place a minimum order for each. The two products concerned are brass etches for signal arms (please note these are not complete signal kits).

1) UQ -  A Westinghouse upper quadrant stop arm, LMS/LNER/SR/BR folded edge arm with spectacle (two layer) & fittings

2) GW - GWR wooden signal arm (1887 onwards) suitable for square wooden posts

The price of each of these will be £5.50 plus P&P.

We need total pre-orders for about twenty of each type, which we think should be achievable. The remainder of the order will join other Shop stock until sold, at which point we hope MSE will continue to offer these products.

Pre-orders on a first come, first served basis, so please let me know ASAP if you want one/some.

Regards,

Ian T

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

I will take six of each type.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

Could I have TWO Upper Quadrant Please

regards

ralph

AllWight

Coudl I have 6 upper quadrant plus a seventh one for a fixed distant arm. Are you intending to do the alternate arms such as calling on main aspect and distant arms?

Mark

IanT

Excellent - together with some 'offline' orders we are up to sufficient numbers already on UQ - we just need to see those of a GWR persuasion order a few now.

With regards to Mark's question regarding further signal types, we don't have any "intent" at the moment to develop anything else in the way of signalling but if this first batch does go well and enough Members can agree on their other signalling needs, then we might possibly ask Andrew if he's willing to help us out.

But let's get this project settled first please.

Also, I'm afraid the details of this were not finalised until after the Newsletter had been published, and since many Members do not use the Forum, they will not be aware of this offer. As I do not want to wait until gone September before we place the order, can you mention this to any Members you come into contact with and ask them to contact me if they are interested.

We've always assumed we would need to hold some stock initially but if the Forum demand is high, then it may make sense to make our 'seed' order that bit little larger (than just the minimum) to cater for late incoming orders once we get it into the NL. So please mention it to others in passing...

Regards,

Ian T   

bolingbroke

Hi Ian,
I would like two of each. I would take more but they will just sit in a drawer until winter time. At least it gets the ball rolling. I did start a reply before this, left the PC and on return, there it was gone. Please ignore if it reappears.
Regards,
Roger.

Traininvain

2 upper quadrant please

Ian

IanT

Both types of signal arm etches (UQ & GW) have been ordered from MSE and they should be in stock in about 4-6 weeks from now.

I'll let you know when they arrive.

Regards,

IanT

IanT

Just to let you know that the MSE Signal arms are now in stock and awaiting your orders (please confirm your requirements directly by email to me).

We have already received "pre-orders" (via this site and verbally) for about half of this stock but please 'restate' your order as requested above by email.

We will be announcing their availability to the rest of the Membership in the next Newsletter, so I expect them to go fairly quickly. Orders will therefore be treated on a first come, first served basis, so please don't delay.

Regards,

IanT

Effin Dave

Three  GW1 sets please
Regards   Dave

John Candy

My package of signal arms (a mix of UQ and GWR LQ) arrived yesterday.......thank you, Ian T.

They are nicely etched and have useful assembly instruction sheets.

If you haven't ordered any yet (and assuming there are still some unsold) I would suggest you contact Ian "pronto"!

Of course, what I now need are posts, ladders, lamp housings, finials, etc.

For the LMS and LNER posts, brass tube of suitable (telescopic) diameters can be used, while SR posts can be built from old rail.
The GWR arms are of the older pattern with timber arms and cast spectacles (not the more modern pressed steel type) so require a timber post.
Finials and lamps I can cast from whitemetal.

I see that GRS sell a "Tapered Wooden Post" (part JG101) and a "Signal Ladder Brass 290mm" (FG235)..
I assume these are to "G" scale and not 16mm but the catalogue does not specify.
I wonder how strong and (weather) durable these items are : Has anyone tried them?

John.

P.S. Ian .....no invoice enclosed, to whom do I send payment (and how much)?
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.