Author Topic: Can Servos be Electrically Paralleled?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Peaky 556

• G3 Society Member
Can Servos be Electrically Paralleled?
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »
Please excuse ignorance but I would like to explore what is possible nowadays with R/C gear.  It's been nearly 40 years since I dabbled with a Skyleader 6, and that was just basic proportional control with no bells or whistles!

Supposing I wanted to operate both a servo and an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) from one stick on the Tx.  I believe that an ESC behaves as if it were a servo, as far as the receiver is concerned, so the question boils down to whether two 'devices' can be operated by one channel.  In my simple mind I envisage just a forked connection to parallel up the circuits.  Maybe there is another way to do it at the Tx end, such that two channels are constrained to work as a linked pair?  Perhaps even the relative rates can be altered within such a pair, such that one output throws further than the other for a given stick input?

I'd be grateful for any experience out there?
Cheers,
Tim

Offline 454

• G3 Society Member
Re: Can Servos be Electrically Paralleled?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
Tim
If standard bits are used then the mechanical linkage could be adjusted for throw whilst the ESC is what you get.
Do you want me to set something up to demonstrate to prove it? BTW I owe you 20 quid.

Cheers
Dave

Offline 454

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:36:19 PM »
Just tried it & the simple answer is yes.

But life is not that simple.

A snag that I can see is the trim will only work precisely with one servo device nulling it to correct position.
So the other servo if not matched will twitch a bit or even turn out of position uncontrollably to a different offset position which may need to be mechanically nulled by adjustment of the horn on the splines
However that is a pessimistic view. You may strike lucky. I did.

Dave

Offline Peaky 556

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »
Wow, thanks Dave for instant response.  Do you mean you connected two identical servos with a 'Y' lead?
 :)Tim

Offline 454

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:18:43 AM »
Yes Tim

Offline 454

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Forgot to say I did a really perverse trick for fun, cos I'd never done this before.

I paired up a 12 turn yacht winch servo with a 3 turn servo & hey presto they worked but don't see how useful this may be when operated on one Tx stick channel. The 12 turn is quite temperamental due to the sensitivity to the stick.

So my recommendation is to use either a standard servo or a one turn yacht winch servo if more sweep is required.
The 'feel' on the stick is OK with these. Any more & it gets a bit twitchy.

Hope this triggers your imagination & brings that 45 to my circle of track that much earlier.

Dave