Author Topic: LMS coaches  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Traininvain

LMS coaches
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:36:03 pm »
Saw a completed model of the LMS Stanier Period 3 coach built by Customer Carriages that appeared at the G3 AGM in 2013 and featured in the Gauge 3 Society Newsletter some while back. The coach was superb, lots of detail but appeared to be very robust so suitable for outdoor running, and finished in the LMS Period 2 very style used before Stanier simplified it to simple lining above the windows and at waist level.

They are not cheap though - cost is expected to be around the £1600 mark, so definitely for the better off members! I'll do a full report for the September issue of the G3 Society Newsletter.

Ian

Offline John Candy

Re: LMS coaches
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:50:11 pm »
In my view, rather too nice (and expensive) to be trailed around the garden....belongs in a display cabinet!

There are mixed messages coming from both suppliers and G3 modellers : Some maintain that, if it looks alright from 6ft away, then that is all you need in the garden, while others are producing these high-end, exhibition quality, models.

What is really needed are more "middle of the road" models which are accurate but robust and not over-detailed / fragile and can be used in the garden without worrying about inevitable damage,which would knock a chunk out of the value of a high-end model.

That's my tuppence worth!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 03:00:09 pm »
Couldn't agree more John.

This is what Trevor Taylor (Gauge 1 Model Co., http://www.g1m.co.uk) did in Gauge 1. He fronted the cash to have 2,000 BR Mk 1s built in plastic that cost about £250 each to the enthusiast. He has, he says, just 6 coaches left.

Ian

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:19:40 pm »
And that, I'm afraid, is why it won't happen in Gauge 3.  2000 x £250 = a lot.  Say they cost half that - £125.  That's a quarter of a million pounds and Gauge 3 must cost more than Gauge 1.  And that would mean every single G3S member (or equivalent) buying ten of them each.

More realistic to go with a Westdale type pressed aluminium shell with cast ends and applied detail, in my opinion.

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 05:25:39 pm »
Unless some "big player" (Bachmann for example) takes a gamble on creating a mass market for G3, the limitations of the current G3 "market" will forever preclude large scale investment by smaller businesses.

I have not given up on the idea of seeing whether it may be possible to get aluminium bodies produced in India ..... the last offer I received was that an order for 8 items of any pattern would be of interest to Paul N.
You will remember that a year or so ago I posted asking whether anyone would be interested in either LMS all-steel excursion stock and/or a 3-car LMS "Inter - District" set.
The response was disappointing.

At present, I just have too many projects on the go to take on more.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.