• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GWR Signal Kit?

Started by John Candy, Mar 06 2016 20:14

« previous - next »

John Candy

As part of the Monkton Priors project (and for my own garden line requirements) I am pursuing enquiries regarding the production of signal parts and possibly a kit for a complete signal.

The GWR wooden post type is what I have in mind.
I can give no indication of possible  pricing at this stage but who would be interested in subscribing to an order if the cost were reasonable?
The more potential orders, the more probable that the manufacturer would be inclined to proceed.

I would anticipate a kit to cost in the region of 60GBP (a top quality scale kit from a reputable manufacturer) but since signals in G3 are, "rarer than hen's teeth", that would not be an unreasonable amount.

Hoping you can support this project, since Monkton Priors needs signals!

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

wolfstone

As a GER man I would be more interested in an upper quadrant but as you say anything  might be better than nothing. certainly basic parts might be useful ie. arm, post, ladder, even a generic kit that could be modified would be better than nothing. I find that this is the problem with G3 very little is available off the shelf.

Tim

David_G

I too would be very interested in a Signal Kit, or two,for my "soon to be started" Eastern Region Railway. As suggested, anything to help producing these "rare" items would be a great help.
Please keep me advised of progress.
Regards
David G

LankyTank

John

If you haven't already done so..... An approach to Andrew Hartshorne (?sp) at Wizard Models/MSE might bear fruit, I know he's blown up some of his signals to G1 & 16mm scale.

Try    andrew@modelsignals.com

good luck

Barry

John Candy

Thanks Barry ..... I am already in touch with Andrew.

He told me it was "possible" but there are technical/production difficulties.
I have put some suggestions as to how the Monkton Priors Team may be able to help and am waiting a further reply.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Gavin_B

I have been working with Tim Breeze for a while on a GWR signal.  We have an etch done that will do the arm either wooden or later metal with variable length arms and distant or home.   Will take pictures tomorrow in more light.

Gavin

Gavin_B

Sorry have had real problems with internet at home but am back now.  I have produced an etch than can do a 3,4,5 or 6 foot distant or home arm, either the old wooden one or later steel.  The lens are sandwiched in the etch to give depth.  It comes with a back lamp blanking plate, lamp bracket and pivot.

Here is the prototype.

I also have lost wax finials, and a ladder etch but need to do more work on the jig to put the rungs in as it keeps twisting at the moment.

hopefully images attached

unklian

Looking very good Gavin .

John Candy

Looking nice.....the cast finial will eliminate one fiddly job!

Regarding the ladder : The way Wagon & Carriage Works overcame problem in their LNER refrigerated van kit was to have the stiles linked at top and bottom with a foldable link which held them parallel and at correct spacing while the wire rungs are soldered. When the rungs are in place, you simply "snip" the links with the side cutters.
If you cannot amend your etch design, then I would use a high melting point solder to replicate the links, then use a lower temperature solder to insert the rungs.

One small point .... the "green" lens is usually of blue glass ..... the yellow flame of the paraffin lamp produces the green colour. Having said that, I seem to recall that there was at least one Scottish company which used green glass but cannot remember details.

Regards,
John.

Gavin_B

Hi John,

You are totally right on the lens cover.  When doing the test etch I only had green plastic and a white LED.

The kit will have the following sheets for lenses.

Red  -  home
yellow- distant
blue  - for yellow gas lamps
green – electric white light.
Clear – for some signal but cannot remember which for the life of me!

Will try your tip with the ladder as am not happy with the results yet.

Gavin

John Candy

QuoteClear – for some signal but cannot remember which for the life of me

That's for "calling on" : i.e. proceed with extreme caution into an "occupied" section.
Usually found at stations where more than one train can occupy a single platform. White light = stop, green = proceed.

John.

keith Bristol

Gavin,

The tip of a folded link on the etch for the ladder works well, the 12 ladders for my tankers with 19 steps per ladder was quick to do this way. Just got a long brass rod, left one side in the fret, folder end the other on top and pushed rod though top hole to solder on bottom. Cut off and solder to top. A ladder takes about 22 mins...k

John Candy

Gavin,
What is the situation with your GWR signal etches, etc.?
I am looking for solutions to the Monkton Priors signalling requirements.
Regards,
John.

Gavin_B

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay have not been on the forum for a while.   I have the finials and ladder etches ready at the moment, still not had a chance to do the jig for the ladder or post.

The arm etches am out of but can get another lot etched.  How many are you looking for?

G

John Candy

Hi Gavin,
Thanks for reply.
I have a provisional signalling diagram for Monkton Priors on which I am awaiting feedback from the team.
As matters stand, would require as follows (all wooden type arm):-

One Platform "Starter" (6ft stop arm)
One "Home" (6ft stop arm)
One "Home" (4ft stop arm for bracket doll)
One "Calling On" arm (3ft subsidiary arm)
One Siding/Loop "Starter" (ringed 5ft arm)
One "Fixed Distant" (5ft arm ... without spectacle plate)

I will clarify (supply images to illustrate)if you could let me know what you can supply.
If you have etched sheets with multiples of each type then I can find a use for the surplus items to avoid waste.

Regards,
John.