Author Topic: DCC can seriously damage your (radio controlled loco's) health!  (Read 686 times)

Offline John Candy

Have this afternoon been speaking with Richard Toplis (he called to tell me that my J39 will be ready in a few weeks) and he mentioned that an electronics expert had diagnosed a curious problem which had arisen with one of his radio-controlled locos.
The loco in question was a J39 which had been placed on the "Tiptree" layout at the AGM but would not respond to radio control.

When Richard placed it on another track there was no problem and it operated normally.

Apparently, the Tiptree layout operates with DCC (rail power) and the expert told Richard that the radiation/frequency of the DCC system (even though power is not being "collected" by the loco)  "jams"  the radio control signal and has even been known to totally corrupt/destroy the control firmware/software of a radio controlled ESC!

Apparently, this fact is not widely known and Richard suggested I mention it here.... you have been warned!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline blagdon

Re: DCC can seriously damage your (radio controlled loco's) health!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »
John, thank you for your warning about DCC layouts. As a matter of interest, is this Dcc gizmo ever used on garden (outdoor) layouts?

Ian the Gauge '3' (Garden Railway) Pirate

Offline John Candy

Re: DCC can seriously damage your (radio controlled loco's) health!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
I'm no expert but I believe LGB and Bachmann may employ DCC.
In theory it could be used on a G3 garden line......it does require the track to carry current and I don't know whether there are any which are set up in that way.
Tiptree is an indoor/exhibition line.

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.