• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

‘Forever’ log-on?

Started by Peaky 556, Sep 24 2020 18:26

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Is anyone else needing to log-on every day, despite selecting the 'forever' option? 
I'm an Apple user if that makes a difference.

IanT

I suspect the same issue that stopped us logging in a day or so ago - has been resolved but at the cost of the system remembering us.

I'm sure John will be looking at it.

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Branch

Same happening here with MS Win 10.. thought it was just me missing something.
John

MikeWilliams

Same for me using Windows 7.  A minor irritation for me, rather than a problem.

Mike

John Candy

Yes, I am aware of this .... it also affects me.
I have not been able to track down the reason for the altered behaviour.
It seems that a lot of forums were hacked on the same day by a Chinese source (a "bot" seems likely).
It appears to be the case (from reports) that it was not a vulnerability in the forum software but access was gained via the server root. It may be that the server operating system is behind the change and is doing it to protect itself from unauthorised access.
The setting/code in the forum system file which controls the login is set to permit "forever" login.
I could try changing the cookie (again) to see if that helps but it will mean all users clearing their browser settings to remove the old cookie.
Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

No thanks John, I'm still recovering from the last clear out!  :-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

Suggestion:
If when you call up the forum login page, the login box is empty (i.e. you have to type in your name and password), check to see whether you have a secure connection ..... if so, the URL will begin https:// and not http://

If you do not have a secure connection go https://g3forum.org.uk/index.php and sign in.
Next time you call up the forum using the above link, you should find the login boxes filled with your username and password.... you just need to click on "login".

Hope this helps.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

I have tried going in via the 'secure' route and it seems to be working, at least on the device I worked on last night.

Thank you John, previously it had always warned of not being a secure connection, which I just dismissed as being a symptom of the modern age.

AshleyW

i tried that and re- set the link as a new bookmark, now it has my passowr din the box, but still have to click log in forever?