• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

8750 Pannier Tanks

Started by AllWight, Apr 09 2011 22:55

« previous - next »

AllWight

Hi chaps

I am building an 8750 GRS Pannier tank kit for someone and I want to confirm with some of you GWR fans out there any pecularities and also to confirm the running numbers. As most of you know there is only one railway in my mind Southern. I would like to know the running numbers this type of Pannier tank had for accuracy. The loco is unmodified from the kit from GRS although I have put some additional things on like the drains from the injectors which they would have had and the pipes down each valance for the Vacuum and Steam heat. I will also be running it as a summer engine with no Steam Heat hose but the end of the pipe and the stop valve on both bufferbeams. I realise there is the 57XX Panniers but they do diifer in outward appearances with cab size as well as the rear wall being only a steel sheet. Gods Wonderful did have a lot of Panniers on their books so could any one out there shed some light on this and the correct numbering sequences for the GRS 8750 kit.

Many thank Mark Pretious

blagdon

Mark, Best of luck with the 'Plastic Bugger' as my Anne's 8750 (8793) is known. Another modiffication I have made is to reinforce the brake hangers with brass strip.

Now to Gone Wrong and Rusty panniers; as no doult with Southern locos, details depend on which era you are modelling, top feeds for example did not start to appear until 1942, and then only when older ones were in works for repairs etc. The best way is to either find a paricular loco photo (s) or visit one in preservation (2 at Didcot - both with current boiler certificates) and model one of those.

As for your Southern thing, I thought only Western types suffered from that aspect of Tunnel vision (Me, I'm a Somerset and Dorset fan, but the B&NS did stray into their territory).

Ian the Gauge '3'Pirate