Author Topic: Signal boxes  (Read 1650 times)

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
Signal boxes
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:52:34 AM »
I noticed in British Railway Modelling for November a review of a Midland Railway signalbox kit by "York Modelmaking and Display Limited".  It is 4mm, but looks to be nicely engineered with a laser cut plywood carcass and cut plasticard overlays.  I am no expert on the Midland, but it looks so nice that I wondered about asking them to up-scale it to Gauge 3.

However, it is 4mm and costs £84, plus £9.50 for the staircase (its no good without), £15 for the toilet block, and £14 for the glazing kit.  Scaling up would increase the cutting time by a factor of at least 4 (could be more for the thicker materials), which would make it a very expensive kit.  It woud also need some re-design to strengthen some parts - notably the walkways.

I concluded that was too much for me, but has anyone else come across a suitable building kit in the smaller scales which lends itself to up-scaling like this?

Mike

Offline Traininvain

• G3 Society News Officer
Re: Signal boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
I have been talking to them about a possible G3 version of the MR box. More about this in March G3 Newsletter.

Ian

Offline blagdon

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:24:01 PM »
I think if I still 'did' 4mm, I would stick to the old Airfix 'Oakham'. Over one hundred pounds for a signal box seems an aweful lot of money!
The biggest problem in trying to scratch-build a signal I have found is the windows, however it's ammazing to see the variety of window styles used by pre-group companies.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

Offline midnight miller

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
Hello All

Any one wanting phot's or basic measurements of surviving signal boxes W.Yorks / South Leeds area drop the Wife a line and get her to have a look .

John

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »
Ian - I didn't see it in the March Newsletter, though I do frequently forget even interesting things these days!  Is it still on the cards?

Mike

Offline hornbeam

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
Noticed walsall model ind are bring one out.