• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Gauge 3 wagon turntable - new product - William's Models

Started by 454, Feb 22 2015 22:04

« previous - next »

After seeing the resin mouldings for the wagon turntable on the William's Models stand at the 2015 G3S AGM Show it became a welcome addition to the versatility of the products available from this supplier.

I had conducted some experiments making a wagon turntable out of plywood several years ago & realised that the demonstration 3 feet x 2 feet baseboard was more useful as "painting turntable". So gave up as my painting turntable was so useful.

Mike's new addition to the resin moulding model range has introduced an excellent depiction of a GE wagon turntable that will enhance any goods yard. From my own interest I welcome hopefully an early order of 2 units which will kick off the supply of this model & hopefully will be a serious project which I hope other modellers will support to make a worthwhile production run.

Good luck Mike please make it happen.

Cheers
Dave

We are now looking at a new product in the William's Models range that is encouraging me to further my design for the industrial siding that is being developed. It used to be a simple matter of using the Sentinel as the local shunter but now I am considering hauling wagons around using fine chain & capstan winches instead. The marine models folks seem to have products that could be quite applicable.

Am hoping that we have a viable non-loco layout potentially. Maybe a Shire horse could be held in reserve as a static exhibit at G3 scale in a livery stable ready to cable haul a wagon off the turntables & into the arrival/departure track for the line loco to take over.

Come on guys any takers for the model wagon turntables?

Cheers
Dave

The wagon turnable is a feature that is worth incorporating into our goods yard layout schemes. The turntable could be manual or even motorised. Although I have realised a practical point & that is ball races on goods stock might not be such a good idea as it will be a bit tricky to stop the wagons rolling off into oblivion. Thankfully none of my wagons has this problem as all of them seem to defy rolling away.

Dave
N2.5inchG Assoc

Geoff Nicholls

The shire horse might not need to be a static exhibit, I suggest you type "kinetic horse" in google and watch the videos.  I have a drawing showing the proportional lengths of the bars needed to make it function, but it's too big to upload.
googling Theo Jansen and strandbeest also retrieves some stunning images.
Geoff.

MikeWilliams

I must record that Geoff made the patterns for this turntable, and a lovely job of it he made of it too.

Mike

Geoff kept that a bit quiet.
Well done I was certainly very impressed with the result on stand.

Cheers
Dave