• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Northchurch Tunnel Portal

Started by Peaky 556, May 16 2017 23:19

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Been having a lot of fun with the cement mixer on Apple Tree Railway.  Portal in progress, as inspired by this Stevenson drawing of Northchurch Tunnel mouth.
:) Tim

Peaky 556

A bit more progress between the showers.  I've found that useful book mentioned elsewhere "Bridges for Modellers" by L V Wood, and discovered that the proper name for this type of construction would be 'horseshoe arched masonry with extended voussoirs'.  Well how about that, and furthermore the style is generally attributed to Joseph Locke.
Regards, Tim

IanT

"Proper" civil engineering Tim!

:)

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Doddy

Top job!

The spacing of the slate work looks spot on!

Bob
"You don't know what you don't know"

AshleyW

lightcliffe tunnel between halifax and bradford has a similar style - i always refer to it as japanese bursting sun flag style!

Peaky 556

Good analogy Ash, but the sun is not quite yet rising on the Apple Tree Railway; no track down yet!
There are some other tunnels up your way with this style, e.g. The Woodhead.  Rather tasty but beyond my ability to model!
Cheers, Tim

Peaky 556

This is how it is shaping up.  My dear wife decided she'd like a cold frame... right across the projected path of the railway!  We came up with this compromise! :D

MikeWilliams

That is very nice work.  Looks great.

Mike

Traininvain

Sounds like a great Gauge 3 Society Newsletter article there Tim for the Autumn issue if poss!

cheers

Ian

Peaky 556

OK Ian, will do, and am hoping there'll be some more progress to show by then!
Regards, Tim