Author Topic: Cambridgeshire Progress Report  (Read 32506 times)

Offline John Candy

Cambridgeshire Progress Report
« on: Jun 22 2013 11:07 »
(continued from http://G3Forum.org.uk/index.php?topic=1089.0 )

Last week or so has been disrupted by the weather, so less progress than hoped for.

Next week will be in Sussex, so time for my aching joints to recover!

Total viaduct brick piers built has increased by three (now 16 in total) and the 17th pier will complete the second crossing of the low level circuit.
Some difficult excavations have now been completed, with huge rocks and roots proving a big problem.

The aim of the first phase is to complete the main terminal to branch terminus which takes the route across the 60ft viaduct.
Buffer stop to buffer stop will be 180ft (a scale three-quarters of a mile).

The main terminus will have four platforms of approx. 18ft length, the branch terminus will have a single platform to take three coaches plus a tank loco.
Both termini will have goods yards and a small loco shed.

The second phase involves the high level line descending (from a point just before the line to the branch terminus diverges from the viaduct route) to form a junction with the low level (double track) circuit at a 3 platform through station, with additional goods loop, carriage sidings, etc.
The high level line will then diverge from the low-level circuit and climb a gentle gradient to a triangular junction.
Straight ahead will lead back to the main terminus, while the line diverging to the right will lead back onto the viaduct, completing the high level (single track) circuit which will enable trains to run continuously on the high level, without interfering with low level operations.

The low level line will be the final phase and, apart from some complicated trackwork at the junction station, will be a plain double track circuit with a small wayside station.

I will provide a track diagram when I have time to wrestle with the computer's drawing program!

John.
« Last Edit: Jun 10 2017 11:27 by John Candy »
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

Re: Cambridgeshire Progress Report
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08 2013 09:41 »
One photo which says it all about how I spent my weekend!

There has been significant progress and the viaduct now totals 19 piers and more will be added over the next few days.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09 2013 21:19 »
The site of my MPD has been settled after much deliberation (OK.....dithering)!
It will be at the throat of a 4 platform terminus which is fed via a "wye" junction from the high level line.
The "wye" could be used for loco turning but one point of the triangle will be inaccessible (except for emergencies) so those locos without R/C would be unable to use it
This raises the question of a turntable.
A scale 65ft table should take most British locos with exception of LMS/LNER Pacifics and Beyer-Garratts (I think a Britannia might just fit).

So, anyone have any ideas for constructing such a table....I believe Alan Marsden produced a G3S newsletter article some years ago....can anyone remember when that was?

Regards,
John.
« Last Edit: Jul 10 2013 00:06 by John Candy »

Offline IanT

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09 2013 21:55 »
I cannot remember a turntable article by Alan Marsden, although I have not looked closely through my older back issues and he may well have done so.

However, Dick Allan published "A scratch built turntable for Gauge 3" in Newsletter 70 (September 2007)

Regards,

Ian T
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10 2013 00:04 »
Thank you Ian.

It must be Dick's article I had in the back of my mind.

Regards,
John.

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10 2013 11:55 »
John
Dave smith of metalsmith is over half way to a g3 turntable kit
Ian

Offline John Candy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21 2013 21:35 »
The concrete forest just keeps growing!

Since the last report on the viaduct construction, it has been extended at both ends and work on the connecting low-level trackbed is also progressing.

Three photos of the end furthest from the house are attached.

They show the high level line coming away from the crossing of the pond and passing over the low-level line (curving away to left) before splitting to run into a branch terminus (on extreme right) and descending to a junction with the low level line (route marked out in centre of picture).
The branch terminus is set at 36 inches above ground level.
The high level line descends towards the junction with the low level line, while the low level line rises slightly to meet it.

The opposite end of the viaduct has been extended by four piers which now takes it past the site of the return loop junction (which forms two sides of the high level "wye" leading the main terminus).

Weather permitting, there should be a lot of progress this week : Tomorrow another 500 bricks are being delivered, (along with further large quantities of aggregate and cement) and one of Carol's brothers is coming on Wednesday for five days (bringing his spade)!

John.

« Last Edit: Jul 27 2013 21:54 by John Candy »

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22 2013 12:42 »
John - it certainly looks robust!  Is it seismically qualified or just designed to last??
 ;D Tim

Offline John Candy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22 2013 12:54 »
Tim,

Designed to last....but if they do start "fracking" in these parts, I hope it will survive any tremors!!

Regards,
John.

P.S. I don't know what my neighbours may think of it .....probably think it is a replica Stonehenge!

Offline AllWight

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22 2013 15:43 »
Watch out you might find a Druid by the name of Arthur Pendragon arriving at the next solstice.

Looks very solid though john.

Mark

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22 2013 15:55 »
Does indeed look nice John.  We don't get a real feel from the pictures how it sits into the garden.  Looks pretty stark now, but having seen your garden I am sure it will be very attractive when finished and reminiscent of the much lamented Mike May's line.

So we have this organic new line, some thumping sounds coming from Derby, Wootton being test run and the magnum opus in west Wales - who said there were not many new Gauge 3 garden lines being built?  There are some fairly new private lines in far west Devon and the Lake District - would be nice to see Society GTGs at those sometime too.

Mike

Offline Technocrat

« Reply #11 on: Jul 26 2013 18:44 »

;D ;D ;D !!!!!!!!!!!!

"Watch out you might find a Druid by the name of Arthur Pendragon arriving at the next solstice. "

Your projects are encourageing me greatly. Am looking forward to pictures of the final product John.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27 2013 21:48 »
Today saw the 59th support pillar completed!
Had it not been for the adverse weather forecast, I could have gone on to add another eight (for which the concrete foundations were poured yesterday).
As it is, the eight pillars built today had (just) sufficient time for the mortar to harden, before the downpour started at dusk.

First photo shows the curve leading on to the viaduct at the end nearest the house (the 20ft radius plastic templates have been laid on the pillars to show route).
Behind me lies the route to the main (4 platform) terminus. The twin track from the terminus will split into two single lines in the foreground (the straight-ahead line forming one side of the triangular "wye" junction).

The third side of the "wye" will trail in from the right, to join the viaduct line just before it crosses the lawn.

The next two photos show the opposite end of the garden, with the descending single line marked by the 20ft radius plastic templates laid on the piers.
The gradient is variable with the centre section being 1 in 40 for length of about 6 feet, the sections either side being around 1 in 60.
There will be a banking engine siding at the junction, to accommodate LMS 3F and GWR 57XX locos....reminiscent of the "Lickey"!

The final photo is taken from the point where the high level crosses the low level : To the left are the pillars for the high level branch terminus, the descending single line in the centre and the pillars for the twin track mainline to the right (which will also be minimum 20 foot radius).

I will draw a plan when I have a moment to spare, so that the photos can be related to the overall scheme.

John.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27 2013 22:02 »
Impressive John.

"reminiscent of the Lickey"  Ah, three 3Fs then - GRS will love you!

Mike

Offline 454

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28 2013 18:07 »
Are you going to cast an LNER Gresley 2-8-8-2 Garrett out of resin then John? The perfect "Flexi kit". Suitable for Lickey type banking.

Seriously though John it's amazing what you have achieved since you started the construction phase.

We are all looking forward to seeing your track plan. How about a PDF attachment to whet our appetite for your first GTG ?

Cheers
Dave