• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Looking for "Mark"?

Started by Cabbage, Sep 13 2010 12:22

« previous - next »

cabbage

Last Thursday someone with the first name of Mark rang me! It was an appalling line -even my wife had problems making out what he was saying. We both think he was trying to find out information on a diesel loco. People who know me know that I have problems with my hearing due to measles when I was 8 -the conversation ended with me asking him to e-mail me or to use YIM. He never got back to me -possibly he does not know my e-mail or YIM.

e-mail is: ralphbrades@yahoo DOT co DOT uk

YIM is: ralphbrades

I do try to make things as easy as possible!

So, "Mark" if you are reading this try again, or if anyone knows -could they pass the message along to him please?

regards

ralph

John Candy

Ralph,

It was most probably Mark Pretious.......he phoned me few days back regarding a class 73 electro-diesel model he has purchased.
His contact details are in the membership list.
I don't have an email address for him.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

trammedic

Re: Mark Pretious, he does not have computer facilities, so can only be contacted by snail mail or telephone.
Hope this helps,
Tony.

keith Bristol

HI I have seen the class 73 aqnd mark was probably after the details on the bogie for Uk locos such as 73's 33' and 20' diesels

John Candy

When Mark spoke to me he suggested I might post a "challenge" to Ralph to come up with the design for a power unit which matched the prototype!

A diesel-electric with the ability to switch to third rail current collection (but not at 750V)!

I had not got around to posting the message so that could well be the reason he phoned Ralph!

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

Ok, I accept!

I am halfway through doing the maths for my Fell, (which will use the same motor and coolant system as the Class 46, (which will use the same power bogies and AC generation as the Gas Turbine))...

If we assume that the track voltage is 24 Volts, then we set the changeover relay to work off 12 Volts, and have a dropper resistor feeding it from the track. This then changes over the feed from the rectified output of the AC generator to the DC track supply. Both the AC generator and the track voltage then feed a 12V regulator and thus the ESC powering the traction motors.

That part is simple.

The difficult part is how he wants to use his diesel motor and AC generator. There exists in an as yet unpublished series of articles, (HINT!) with a design example for a diesel electric locomotive using a marine liquid cooled glow engine. The major problem is building the coolant system for the marine glow motor. I have adopted a hybrid system -common to "Drag Racers" and "Land Speed Record" cars -a Water and Ice tank with a radiator. I have also opted for a rather large, (even by my standards), motor. This is because if the system works then it can be bolted onto anything smaller in the sure and certain knowledge that it will work!!!

So, if someone would like to ring "Mark" and give him the information that "YES it can be done" and he will e-mail me or at least telephone from home I can arrange to have ready my "special" telephone available for him.

regards

ralph

cabbage

Ok the only motor that I think he could squeeze in is an ASP 21 series Marine engine. This would have to drive a stepper motor as a generator and then the AC output rectified and a Sealed Lead Acid battery used as an intermediate before the 12V voltage regulator. I think he has to dispense with a radiator  and use an ice and water tank -possibly powered by a windscreen washer pump!

I am little busy at the moment (I have to go and see my son's Headmaster...) but I will get back to you on this.

regards

ralph